Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Richie

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Richie »

Mike, you know he is going to want to pull that flute off now don't you !!
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Wayne, you going to run a turbine in this one ?

Had to be worth saving up and putting one in surely ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
midlife

Post by midlife »

I'd love to put a turbine in it Richie but I just don't have that sort of cash laying around, if I had, her indoors would have spent it already.
I've looked at the Chinese options but materials used & spares availability worry me.
You never know, working for RR occasionally has its perks, when it's nearing completion I'll get it put into RR news, you never know what someone has in their cellar [.]
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

Well, the Mrs went out this afternoon, as soon as the door had shut I was down in the cellar.
I've made a start on a foam cutter, made the sponson plan wire cut guides, finish cut the outside of all the bulkhead formers & I've made a start on the main frame that holds everything together.
My plan with the main frame is to cut loads of sections out to have it looking vaguely like the plans I got from Fred.
Everything outboard of the frame will be blue foam, coated in fibreglass.
I'm just starting to realise the size of the thing...
ImageImage
Here's the frame of the foam cutter, I'm sure it will be the first of many...
I managed 2 hours in the cellar before she who must be obeyed came home & spat her dummy out.
At least I can finish off the wire cutter & get some practice in with it before my next venture into the cellar next weekend.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

One main frame side cut out, the other marked out ready to cut.
Foam cutter finished & cutting in anger [.]
It's not pretty but it does the job..
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Don't fall for the semicircular inlets on this one. Not sure I've seen a model yet with this right. That and the nose.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Well, the two rads are definitely offset with a flat in between, should I go for a longer flat?
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Well, the two rads are definitely offset with a flat in between, should I go for a longer flat?
Yup - totally wrong, as ever...

The flat spans almost a third of the top of the inlet with little downward deflection at its outer ends. And they're not rad's. At least not continuous ones. They're a series of small ones with no individual one covering an arc greater than an inch or two, they're constantly changing and struck from a pair of notional data on the thrust line in the lower, inner corners of the inlet trunks that aren't part of the inlet structure.

Inlets.jpg

To make matters worse, the drawings were in the same vein as those for the sponsons, in that just enough was drawn that the designers could keep the fabricators right (so long as they were living and available) so extraordinary detective work and decryption was needed, as well as an intuitive understanding gained from long study of all the other drawings and things that had been built that we actually had in one piece for study.

We're absolutely 100% happy that the inlets are spot on and they're mostly original too. Well pleased with those.

Inlets Former #1.jpg

Here's the foremost former on the tool during the final stages of rebuilding it - you ought to be able to print this off and get the shape exact from here.

You've no excuse now! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Thank you very much for this detail Bill!!!
Pics emailed to work, lunch will be spent tweaking the print size.
No excuses now[.]
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by midlife »

Once printed out on A4 I had to blow both pics up to 105% to get to the size I needed.
Both images were within a couple of mm of each other so I've been able to use them together.
Hopefully this pic will show how far I was out. I'll have to go & get another sheet of ply & make another DSH bulkhead.
Thanks for your help Bill, I'll really do my best to get this one looking "right"
You know I'll be asking for nose pics next, but that will be a good few weeks away yet as i want to make the spars first & get them mounted so I can take it all apart, or I won't be able to get it out of the attic.
Cheers
Wayne