Bluebird Archive Photos & Films

Renegadenemo

Re: Bluebird Archive Photos & Films

Post by Renegadenemo »

Got this on the guestbook from a lady in Syracuse, NY, USA. Anyone clear this up and I'll mail her back.

I recently transferred some slides to digital from photos my father-in-law took in the Spring of 1958 of the Bluebird K7. I did some research and am fascinated by the historical significance and the story of Donald Campbell. Unfortunately, I do not know where these photos were taken and have spent hours online trying to find any clue as to the Bluebird's location at that time. So far, I have not seen a single photo or reference to anything resembling the point of view in which the photos were taken. I am looking to authenticate the photos and will be happy to share them once I can place the Bluebird and my father-in-law in the same place sometime in the spring of 1958. I appreciate any assistance.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Wasn't Canandaigua around July 57. Does her photo have the big air speed pitot on the starboard sponson. Back at Coniston Nov 58. Maybe a roll of film shot between 57/58.
midlife

Post by midlife »

I believe 58 was the year the sponsons lost their bumps, she ran at Coniston early in the year with bumps & later in the year without the bumps.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

She ran at Canandaigua & Onondaga lakes in the US late 57, that may be more like it.
I've not seen any pics from Onondaga lake before..
Cheers
Wayne

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:27 pm Got this on the guestbook from a lady in Syracuse, NY, USA. Anyone clear this up and I'll mail her back.

I recently transferred some slides to digital from photos my father-in-law took in the Spring of 1958 of the Bluebird K7. I did some research and am fascinated by the historical significance and the story of Donald Campbell. Unfortunately, I do not know where these photos were taken and have spent hours online trying to find any clue as to the Bluebird's location at that time. So far, I have not seen a single photo or reference to anything resembling the point of view in which the photos were taken. I am looking to authenticate the photos and will be happy to share them once I can place the Bluebird and my father-in-law in the same place sometime in the spring of 1958. I appreciate any assistance.
If they were taken in the spring of 1958, specifically May, they would have been taken at Aix-le-Bains in France. K7 ran at a motorboat regatta, after having been on display in Brussels and then Paris earlier in the month. If they were taken in the USA, in particular New York State, then K7 was there from June 1957 - to September 1957 Initially Canandaigua and then Onandaga. K7 also I believe did come demo runs in Canada during a trip to Toronto in late August 57. In all case's they would have been with the original shallow 'humped' sponsons. By the time K7 went to Coniston in September 58, it was with the revised sponson fairing's although the humped fairings did get taken to Coniston in case the revisions did not work.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

There are some fabulous pictures on this thread...! Many thanks to all.

Attached (hopefully) is my own small contribution. This is a scan of an original Geoff Hallawell print (it has his name & address on the reverse - and is marked '6343/8A 4Jan'67), which I found on the internet some years ago and purchased.

The picture itself seems to have appeared before - its almost a dead ringer for the lowest picture on p156 of Neil Sheppard's (@Sheppane) excellent book. But my print seems to be a crop of other versions.

The scan I have uploaded is honest is still showing the specks on the original (these will - obviously - respond well to digital fixing).

Hope it is of some interest. I would love to be able to find more original pictures from the '66/67 period. Any info appreciated...!

IanM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Sorry about the pic, it’s one I was sent...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Engine 711 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm There are some fabulous pictures on this thread...! Many thanks to all.

Attached (hopefully) is my own small contribution. This is a scan of an original Geoff Hallawell print (it has his name & address on the reverse - and is marked '6343/8A 4Jan'67), which I found on the internet some years ago and purchased.

The picture itself seems to have appeared before - its almost a dead ringer for the lowest picture on p156 of Neil Sheppard's (@Sheppane) excellent book. But my print seems to be a crop of other versions.

The scan I have uploaded is honest is still showing the specks on the original (these will - obviously - respond well to digital fixing).

Hope it is of some interest. I would love to be able to find more original pictures from the '66/67 period. Any info appreciated...!

IanM
Ian, It is the photograph Geoff Hallawell took from Leo Villa's course boat on the penultimate run of Bluebird K7 on the 4th of Jan. It is a cropped version of the image I used in my book. K7's speed at this point at the start of the measured KM approx 275mph. It was as far as I aware the last photo Geoff took before the accident.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

sheppane wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Engine 711 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm There are some fabulous pictures on this thread...! Many thanks to all.

IanM
Ian, It is the photograph Geoff Hallawell took from Leo Villa's course boat on the penultimate run of Bluebird K7 on the 4th of Jan. It is a cropped version of the image I used in my book. K7's speed at this point at the start of the measured KM approx 275mph. It was as far as I aware the last photo Geoff took before the accident.
Neil,
What I have is a Print, with Geoff Hallawells' name & address 'stamped' on the back. So, you agree that it seems to be a crop from the same photo which is on p156 of your book....?

If it was shot from LV's course boat, as you say (and I do not doubt you) - and it has clearly been 'cropped' (for my print) - that would explain why it is quite grainy and less than sharp. Still, the scan does clean up fairly well, all things considered.

Thanks for the info....!! Wish I could find more pictures, like this.

IanM
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Engine 711 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:05 pm
sheppane wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:10 pm

IanM
Neil,
What I have is a Print, with Geoff Hallawells' name & address 'stamped' on the back. So, you agree that it seems to be a crop from the same photo which is on p156 of your book....?

If it was shot from LV's course boat, as you say (and I do not doubt you) - and it has clearly been 'cropped' (for my print) - that would explain why it is quite grainy and less than sharp. Still, the scan does clean up fairly well, all things considered.

Thanks for the info....!! Wish I could find more pictures, like this.

IanM
There are a few on eBay at the moment. Search Nordicpics and and imsvintage-lv. All ex newspaper images. Happy hunting.