Technical Talk

jonwrightk7

Re: Technical Talk

Post by jonwrightk7 »

Fantastic news!! :D :D
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

My annual visit to the workshop coincided with this task.

Whilst I learnt something about 'choccie' sauce mixing; cricket catching skills required at the changeover of tube time; spreading the brown stuff into the countersinks; setting rivets along the central join line; how John likes a clean floor (which was soon covered with the 'spent' ends of the rivets from five 'guns'); how good a brew tastes; it was indeed an honour to be present when the hull of the blue boat became water tight once again.

Many thanks to the workshop 'regulars' who allowed me to join them 'in action' along the length of the boat.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Many thanks to the workshop 'regulars' who allowed me to join them 'in action' along the length of the boat.
It was as pleasure to have our op's team working on the tools alongside us. One thing it did demonstrate, and I don't mean this to be be in any way disrespectful to our visitors who worked like devils at whatever we tasked them with, is that it did properly show what a polished and professional team of regulars we have in the workshop. We don't have to speak - everyone knows what's to be done, how to do it, what tools and rivets are needed. If a rivet gun blocks its operator just calmly strips it, clears the problem and carries on. Cups of tea appear at the right time, they are amazing people.
For my part, I knew I was committed when we began drilling the floors off in 2005 or whenever it was and no way was I going to be the guy who took K7 apart and didn't put her back together again so a part of me has been holding its breath ever since and only took a gulp of air again on Saturday afternoon. Thanks, everyone, for a fantastic piece of work.
I'd post a pic' but Mike would go crackers at me ruining his POTD sequence so you'll have to wait.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 am One thing it did demonstrate, and I don't mean this to be be in any way disrespectful to our visitors who worked like devils at whatever we tasked them with, is that it did properly show what a polished and professional team of regulars we have in the workshop. We don't have to speak - everyone knows what's to be done, how to do it, what tools and rivets are needed.
I forgot to mention that the visitors got to clean away excess 'choccie' sauce, leaving a view of all those nice rivets in place. [".... not in any way disrespectful ....", have you been sniffing cleaning substances!]

Workshop regular choreography is almost as good as a well tutored Morris Dancing side, especially when places changed and some went under hoses whilst others went over! [Following the hoots of derision I do not expect anyone on the team to take up Morris Dancing. Although you should try everything in life once .........]
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Malcolm Ops wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 am One thing it did demonstrate, and I don't mean this to be be in any way disrespectful to our visitors who worked like devils at whatever we tasked them with, is that it did properly show what a polished and professional team of regulars we have in the workshop. We don't have to speak - everyone knows what's to be done, how to do it, what tools and rivets are needed.
I forgot to mention that the visitors got to clean away excess 'choccie' sauce, leaving a view of all those nice rivets in place. [".... not in any way disrespectful ....", have you been sniffing cleaning substances!]

Workshop regular choreography is almost as good as a well tutored Morris Dancing side, especially when places changed and some went under hoses whilst others went over! [Following the hoots of derision I do not expect anyone on the team to take up Morris Dancing. Although you should try everything in life once .........]
But there wasn’t any jangly bells and hitting each other with sticks. Only one person had a beard. [.]

Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

What is the plan re finishing the fin? Is it going to keep all that original paint & flags on or will it get a fresh coat?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Despite much effort the blue will have to be painted over but we can save the flags.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

That's a shame, couldn't a replacement fin be sought thus leaving the fin original & put on display as a seperate item?

Will that mean a new supply of chips for sale????
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Might part with a few paint flakes from it, mind you. This crew training exercise is eating up the budget at a rate of knots. We'll see... 😉

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Have you got everything now to complete the boat?