Return to the Water

Blackplate

Re: Return to the Water

Post by Blackplate »

Bonny Scotland it is then. Happy days, less grockles tutting about the noise distrurbing the shell ducks. I'm 'in'. I'll bring my dry bag & help fish out dropped spanners if you want (HSE1 lisence). Got more exact dates this August or have I missed that info?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Outrageous..I have to agree with richie, they really need to sort there act out.perhaps they should remember the Campbell's and bluebird helped put them on the map.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Apologies if I missed something here or misunderstood but is there now the possibility of not returning to coniston next year for the proving trials?

Can not understand the f@&kwittery of the village in not embracing this and how much they stand to lose out!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Apologies if I missed something here or misunderstood but is there now the possibility of not returning to coniston next year for the proving trials?
There seems little chance of ever holding the proving trials on Coniston Water. Unless there's a drastic change of attitude and a lot of hard work done over there very quickly I'd say we'll be looking for a fresh lake.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 pm There seems little chance of ever holding the proving trials on Coniston Water. Unless
If I may add some back story, before setting out my thoughts on this statement.
Even after the raising of the Bluebird and the recovery of the remains of DMC, the inquest, then the burial service, I did not take any interest in the BBP. Until I read words written by my friend David Tremayne in the 2003/4 book - Donald Campbell, The Man Behind the Mask.

"Someone .... will one day demonstrate the rebuilt Bluebird K7 on the lake on which its greatest honours and final tragedy were played out. ......... And somewhere in the crowd that will gather the spark will be ignited again, in young and old alike, and someone else will for the first time be touched and inspired".

Having read these words and knowing from hands on experience of organising World and National speed record bids, it would not be possible to just 'rock up' to Coniston Water and make this a reality, I made contact with Bill Smith ,' the diver', and suggested there would be some work to be done. He invited me to explain and once a strategy was in place we went to the LDNPA to discuss the proposal to run the craft above the 10mph speed limit, but not as a speed record contender, on Coniston Water. Six years later the necessary Byelaw for Coniston Water was signed off by the Secretary of State allowing a Proving Trial to be held.

Some of the forum readers may have worked on a single project for a similar length of time - 6 years - and will know that it is a considerable commitment.

Fast forward to 2017 and perhaps having had an easier time than most of the BBP volunteers as I only put hands on the boat once a year, I was able to reaffirm the BBP wish embodied in the DJT writing and to answer the 'when' question during a village event/festival meeting. So at twelve - 12 - years and counting, I was closing on the final act of the modern chapter of the DMC story and the conclusion of my journey with the BBP. Only to find that the 'rules' had been changed, in an unacceptable way. Changed probably because it 'works for Windermere'.

In my heart I do not want Coniston to miss out on sparking the interest of the next generation of enthusiasts for speed. I hate to think that there is little chance of Coniston ever holding the Proving Trial. This time, it is not for me to tell those in control what they should do. I hope the BBP project leader is wrong, but I will not strees over 'wasted' years, because you always enjoy the journey in any project.

Malcolm
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I hope the BBP project leader is wrong
I hope the BBP project leader is wrong too and it pains me that I invited Malcolm to waste a great tract of his life and considerable talent on such a bunch of no-hopers. I'm an incurable optimist and a great believer in things coming out in the wash but in this instance I simply do not see any individual or organisation that can clear the decks and offer us Coniston Water as a venue. I thought the HLF were terminally useless - and they were - but this shows every sign of being even worse!

This makes me smile... Take a look at the first bullet point of what they do exactly

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/aboutus/ ... edoexactly

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Thanks Malcolm and Bill for the background, if Coniston not going to allow any running is there any point displaying k7 at the Ruskin?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Re individual or organization. What about public opinion? Perhaps a partition or something of the likes.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Re individual or organisation. What about public opinion? Perhaps a partition or something of the likes.
Public opinion is no problem. Anyone with four brain cells can see that it's a boost to the region and that it must be age-inclusive. You could get a zillion signatures but there's no one there to carry out the public's wish.

midlife

Post by midlife »

I’m at a complete loss to understand how this situation has occurred.
Absolutely anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that it’s the right thing to do to run the old girl on Conniston, before she takes up her residence at the Ruskin.
I’m not a solicitor, I don’t respond well to authority unless respect is earned and I’m told at work that I suffer from a severe case of northern bluntness.
One thing I am very good at though is getting opposing factions to reach an amicable agreement.
Is there anything I can do to help Malcolm & the team out?
Cheers
Wayne