Isle of Bute

Black Knight

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Black Knight »

Now I have been given afew days off at the end of the 2nd week, I think I may have to take the 425 mile trip :shock:
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

If that is 425 miles one way, then you will know to break the journey a number of times, before you get to the ferry. The crossing allows drivers to relax before the final few miles on the Isle. Using a mix of scenic route and motorway my 320 miles from Wemyss Bay took a leisurely 7 hours on a weekday.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Yep 1 way, It's actually looking alot cheaper to fly & hire a car in glasgow.
darrenmayock1

Post by darrenmayock1 »

Thanks Mike,

I have been following the project for a couple of years. We are thinking of taking our caravan up to Bute to see you guys in August. When do you think you will be able to publish some kind of proposed diary......just thinking of booking stuff. No pressure....you have enough on......

cheers

Darren
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Self explanatory:

These notes were created after a visit to the Isle of Bute and in particular to Rothesay and Loch Fad, by BBP Operations. It summarises the warm welcome given to a ‘stranger’ introducing themselves as ‘representing the Bluebird Project’ and talking about Crew Training on the Loch in August, with the jet powered craft Bluebird K7.

The ‘Bute Calendar’ for June, produced by the Isle of Bute Trust, lists the Crew Training as “Bluebird on Bute”, 4th to 17th. [Note! Bluebird K7 will be on static display at the Bute Highland Games on the 11th August and at another all-day function on the 12th August].

There can be poor telephone connection on EE mobile frequencies at the Loch.

The owners of cattle and horses on land bordering the Loch have all been informed and none has expressed any concern with jet engine noise.

All occupants of properties around the Loch have been visited and Bluebird Project information (see the website for similar words) was left with them. Key authorities on the Isle, based in Rothesay, were met and any questions they had were answered. Contact details were left so that any further queries can be readily answered.

Traffic and single-track roads is being dealt with in a separate traffic document. The BBP will be seeking to control vehicles using the one road to the Loch, because it would be the main access/egress for emergency services. Signage will be displayed to warn the visiting public to avoid certain roads/tracks/property access roads and those areas which are needed for manoeuvring, not parking.

The occupant of a house close to the Loch offered secure storage areas on their property and would assist the BBP crew member(s) allocated to overnight security of the craft when at the Lochside.

The Bute Discovery Centre on the seafront will be focal for information regarding the Crew Exercise because it is the first place for visitors to call at after leaving the ferry that has arrived from Wemyss Bay. [Note! any day by day planning should be publicised about 12 hours beforehand – there is no fixed itinerary at this time].

The Primary School at Rothesay Joint Campus may make projects for their pupils out of the Bluebird K7 activity on the Loch.

Any wet kit and equipment immersed in the Loch will need washing off and drying to prevent dispersal of invasive species to other water courses.

Malcolm
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

darrenmayock1 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am When do you think you will be able to publish some kind of proposed diary......
As you will see from my other post, everyone will get about 12 hours notice of what is happening day-by-day once the Crew Training gets underway on the 4th August.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm on Bute tonight and tomorrow if anyone wants me.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Extremely positive time on the island. We measured the doors on both ferries to be sure we could get the boat on and off. The forward door is quite a bit narrower then the aft one but it's still good to go. We have to load through the forward door at Wemyss bay then come ashore through the aft door. Had a chat with CalMac, the operator, and have to get a pile of paperwork to them early next week. Met the hauliers - the wagon is made to measure with the biggest hydraulic crane you ever saw. Spoke to a load of school kids to tell them what's coming and had a meeting in the hut at Loch Fad with so many dignitaries we had to all get in, close the door then put the last chair at the back of it so we could all sit down. The whole island is buzzing about us coming and everyone is pulling hard in the same direction. It's a real uplifting breath of fresh air when compared to what we've been used to. Can't wait to get there!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:23 pm Extremely positive time on the island. Can't wait to get there!
You only have 50 sleeps to go.

[But you and the crew didn't really need reminding of that].

Good to hear about the measurement of the ferry. I take it the BBP crew will not be meeting in the hut.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nice ready made pontoon for the ribs, easier for divers to load their kit from, likewise the second rib for kit / starting rig etc.

I can see exactly where I would be putting the slip way, but the Royal Engineers can sort that without question I reckon :D
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."