Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Renegadenemo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Renegadenemo »

320kg of fuel and pump, eh. That's a hundred gallons of juice or a bloody big pump. What a pointless exercise.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Heard someone did 135mph on a pedal bike at Elvington today.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Another person from the Campbell clan.

Neil 'Soupy' Campbell rode behind his pace car to a new European speed record on Elvington Airfield. Did two other passes at +134 mph. The record was 127.213 mph set on 1962. Neil is the British. Commonwealth and European speed record holder, with just the World Record to aim for - 166.944 mph.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Post by Richie »

I beat that in 1989 on my Raleigh Burner !!

Was going down Tanners bank at the time.

Just glad I didn’t switch on the flux capacitor or else I would have ended up in 1955 !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Watched it on the ITV news. All he needs now is a faster 4x4 with a sheet of plywood on the back to slurp him along faster. Just why?

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

In the Speed Record World the 'why?' question is normally dealt with in the same way as a 'when?' question in restoring a blue boat.

The pacing of a bicycle by a motorbike or car has been taking place on tracks ever since the motorised vehicle was available. Probably as a training device for the rider, then as a form of sport in its own right. The top speed motor pacing, that Neil is tackling, is at the extreme end of the bike world with vehicles and devices to remove the aero drag. Speed on level ground has come back into popularity in the USA and Britain. For a while bikers took to running down speed skiing courses and then sides of volcanos for thrills (and spills). Watch out for a bid on the world best level speed later this year, if the Bonneville salt holds up.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

In the Speed Record World the 'why?' question is normally dealt with in the same way as a 'when?' question in restoring a blue boat.
Hmm, not quite. The answer to the when question was always that we had no clue as we'd not done one of these before but we always knew why.
But just why slap a ton of batteries into an off the shelf speedboat and take it to what's a modest speed at best? And all that waffle about Williams engineering. Their F1 team is in tatters and their track record with energy efficient propulsion isn't exactly stellar either. All that time they messed with flywheel energy storage then finally had to flog it off at a loss to GKN who, if they've done amazing things with it since, haven't had a lot to say about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/new ... o-GKN.html

Yet another case of the emperor having no trousers to go with his new clothes. And as for cycle-boy, all he needs is a more powerful Porsche Cayenne, or whatever it was, with an 8x4 sheet of inch ply strapped to its arse and he can go as fast as he likes.

This bloke is a true hero of mine...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26260978

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Williams Advanced Engineering are the division of the Williams empire that provides the power pack and controllers for the Formula E race series, and will do into the next decade. Not a form of motor racing that I will rush off to watch.

The reporting of any World Record is to show the public what is being achieved in the speed world. The modest speed is still best for the class. The class that the craft ran in was dictated by 'others', hence the hull was taken from another race series and re-purposed. [Or as was said on seeing the craft in action - 're-porpoised'].

There is a faster electric record on the UIM list and so the target in October has to be to go over 100 mph.

Back to two pedal wheels - the vehicle with shielding being used in the USA for a bid at Bonneville has 300mph speed potential without its shield in place!
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

ummm re-porpoising...very symptomatic of the DAC hull but straight forward enough to drive through with the correct technique....just wait till they get to 135 (snicker🤪)
now who do i know with that sort of thing experience... :ugeek:
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Mike Bull wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am It's either the world's fastest battery powered boat, or it isn't.
At this moment in time

it isn't.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England