Isle of Bute

Smiffy

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Smiffy »

Bill, et al. Flights from Cairo booked, via Heathrow and Bristol. Hotel in Rothesay sorted. As mentioned on the guestbook (only just registered on here) I remember watching K7 on that fateful day on the news with my Dad as a (just) 7 year old, and relived the moment in (I think) '92 with my young son Matthew (now 33), on Coniston in an inflatable dinghy, at dusk after paddling out into the middle. Photo of my 50th birthday cake (8 years ago) attached. I know the sponsons are somewhat larger scale - but hey - blame the missus !!. Lifelong hero for me (DC), and you and the boys are a very close second. Will meet you on pain of death between 13th and 15th, trampling other disciples underfoot if necessary. Utter ledge !. God Bless boys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

I know that its difficult to make plans and they will change day by day but I was wondering if there is any itinery yet for wet trials on Isle of Bute unfortunately can only get up there for a couple of days so would love to see Bluebird on the water.
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
Richie

Post by Richie »

I stand to be corrected, but the list is somewhat dynamic in that plans may change by the minute, it will be very difficult to say what will happen and when (exactly).

We start proceedings on the 4th (from memory) so give it a day or so before we push her out.

Nothing iron clad, only recommending what I would do if I was visiting :)

Bill is probably best to advise.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Job-one will to get her into and out of the water and see that she isn't leaking in any meaningful way. Then we'll have to do an engine run or two - did a few tonight and she's still being a malevolent old witch in the engine handling dept. but we're getting there. Then we'll try an engine start whilst afloat to look at things like low speed handling and steering authority. The interesting factor in all of this will be how far the phenomenal teamwork and the resulting capacity to get a whole lot done in a very short time translates into how the problems fall. If nothing goes wrong - yeah, right - we'll have her working up on Sunday.

Today was a perfect example. It was after six when we began getting the big tin bitch out of the workshop, yet by nine she'd been taken around to the yard, fuelled, run several times, adjusted, data recorded and put away again with a list of tomorrow's jobs and that's without Mike and me fitting the canopy latch, Kev flatting the engine cover in its high-build primer and Rich and Elvis making parts to piggy-back a spare hydraulic accumulator into the system for Bute.

On the subject of Bute - as I consider myself a long time friend of the isle and its good people may I say that I'm horrified and saddened by the events of the past few days and I know it's affected all of us here one way or another - I can't imagine how dreadful it must be for such a close-knit community. Simply awful - sincere condolences to Alesha's family and all those closest.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

We have managed to get a couple of days of and have booked Rothesay for a couple of nights starting 5th August.

I can only re-iterate your comments, I have not been to Isle of But but have felt a level of sadness regarding the recent news and only hope that the "phoenix" of Bluebird will raise the local spirits in the next few weeks.

Gordon
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

If this heatwave continues we may end up having to park K7 and borrow CN7 to run on parched and cracked mud! but seriously - it's going to be a race to the finish that we should win with enough of a working machine to get away with this. We're gong to be building as we go by the loch with lots of work still to complete and parts to paint and waterproof with gaffer tape between runs.

The isle took a big knock last week but they're such an enthusiastic bunch. They've paid their respects and they won't forget; but move forward they will... Can't wait.

Richie

Post by Richie »

How wide is the loch at its narrowest point ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Suppose if she sinks there it may be shallower :D
Mick Collier

Post by Mick Collier »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm There'll be lots to add to this thread as we get near and no doubt many favours to ask and questions to answer along the way but for now, the answer to the main question.

We plan to travel to Bute on 03 August and return on the 17th. That's a Friday to a Friday. The army is doing our transport, route improvement, installing the slipway, etc. and we'll be based at Loch Fad Fishery. Everyone is welcome.

Any questions?
Hi,
A few friends and I will be coming to Bute to see the iconic Bluebird, Monday 13th August. Will she be back in the water after being on display at the Highland games?
Regards,
Mick.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi,
A few friends and I will be coming to Bute to see the iconic Bluebird, Monday 13th August. Will she be back in the water after being on display at the Highland games?
Regards,
Mick.
All being well we'll do all our trial and error work in the first week and be knackered by Friday at which point we'll be lifted out of the water and placed on display in support of the Highland Games on the Saturday and then on to Mount Stuart House on Sunday as the Mount Stuart Trust is our biggest sponsor on this trip.
By Monday morning we ought to be raring to go again and eager blow away our hangovers with some more running to gather data and polish up the teamwork. That's the plan - we'll see.