Isle of Bute

Engine 711

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Engine 711 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm Max speed recorded was a totally effortless 157mph but there just isn't enough loch. The boat needs to be quite high on her wedges to keep her belly from slapping down and that means too much speed. We have learned a great deal so we've made the call that there's to be no more high speed runs. Ted carried a extra second of power today and had to deploy the water brake to stop so that's plenty for now.
Good that the Water Brake was functional.... ;)

Only 157mph... Wow. K7 does work rather well - a testimony not only to the BBP team but also to DMC's team, too.

Again - Well Done to all. Deserving of a wee dram or a pint all round... :D
CapnGeoff

Post by CapnGeoff »

Great to see Bluebird here in The Clyde, viewing her in The Lakes I never imagined such a treat so close to my home.
Dearly want to see her in/on Loch Fad asap, this is Saturday 11th......only just got clearance from admin to view this board.....may I see her today or Sunday at all?
Kind wished for continued successes, Geoff.
Chris Williams

Post by Chris Williams »

Congratulations Bill and the team. 157mph is incredible. She looked magnificent and well in control. Superb.
In a lifetime, among the seeds we sew is the seed of tragedy, and tragedy is a plant that can take many years to grow, and even longer to blossom, and bear it's bitter fruit.
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

CapnGeoff wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am Great to see Bluebird here in The Clyde, viewing her in The Lakes I never imagined such a treat so close to my home.
Dearly want to see her in/on Loch Fad asap, this is Saturday 11th......only just got clearance from admin to view this board.....may I see her today or Sunday at all?
Kind wished for continued successes, Geoff.
K7 is at the Bute Highland Games, now - https://twitter.com/bluebirdk7/status/1 ... 3043015681

Believe she is still on Bute until 16th August.... That was the plan.
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

From a personal perspective, my thanks to all for a great spectacle this week... and a tribute to a great man and feats of engineering.

I noticed that the K7 unlimited markings don’t appear on the sponsons. Is that just because they haven’t been painted on yet, or are you not allowed to for some reason?

I was also thinking that the stopwatch was missing from the cockpit... and then I wondered how anyone could have imagined the availability of a spare hand to operate it!! Was it just for show?
Justin

Post by Justin »

I have been a long time follower of the teams hard work to restore Bluebird K7 back to full working order.
Watching the images from your Twitter feed will silence any doubters about the teams aims laid down so many years before. I have to admit that it has brought a tear or two to my eyes.
This truly is an exceptional piece of work that the team has achieved and all those involved no matter in how small away, they should be justifiably proud of.
I was not born until late in 1967 so I never got to see or hear Bluebird K7 in her prime, so I thank you and the team for giving me and so many other people the chance to see and hear Bluebird K7 in action. I cannot wait to see her run myself. You have made the best memorial possible to Donald and his team and I'm sure they are all looking down and smiling at what you have achieved.
Keep up the good work and I,m looking forward to more updates on Twitter.

Justin
Blackplate

Post by Blackplate »

I've just returned from Bute. I spent the week there with my two lads. It was beyond what I expected.
The boat looks fantastic, sounds great & goes better still. If we'd seen it wobble about under it's own power it would have been enough. This boat is no museum piece. It looked capable of going for the record again.
Seeing it run at speed was captivating & worth the whole trip & hanging around the loch side for hours. Even that was great as people just wanted to chat.
A big thanks to the team & especially Rob, Sally & of course Bill who were all generous with their time to talk.
It was like the best Village Fate ever with a nutter in a big blue boat hammering by now & then. Even the weather was kind.
The lads now get what Ive been on about for the last few years & have had a week they'll never forget. When the boat is back out again, we will return to watch & keep supporting the project.
It was awesome!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Need a bit more water, methinks. Anyone up for Dumbelyung next year?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Blackplate

Post by Blackplate »

It looked like you needed a longer lake. But I'd have to bug out on Aus. Too expensive to justify to the rest of my little gang who would want to come along. I'm the only bread winner.
However I'm sure the authorities over there would be welcoming & I'd wish you good luck on such an adventure.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

I was wondering what may have been the reason for the ease in which K7 was able to get up on the plane so easily when previously she showed reluctance to get on the plane.

I was also intriqued as to where the water came from (where the ingress point is/was), that we see being baled out of the cockpit (in photo) at the Games on the twitter feed..... Was that a set-up?
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"