Opinion Poll- Rebuild or Conserve?

Bluebird's original Bloctube HP Fuel control box; what to do?

Rebuild
93%
Conserve
7%

Total votes: 57

Mike Bull

Opinion Poll- Rebuild or Conserve?

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Posting this on behalf of Bill, and well, all of us really-

'OK all you members of the public out there – we need your help.

We’ve always been told that museums are for the public and that without us public museums couldn’t exist. They then talk down to us and generally treat us like fools.
Who would like to see some old train / boat / plane back in action? Will the museologists do it for us?

Well here at the Bluebird Project we do things a little differently. You choose and we’ll do it your way. Here’s the question.
image002.jpg
See that thingamabob down the side of the seat with ‘Bloctube’ written across the top? (and if we shouldn’t be using this pic please speak up and we’ll shift it) Well it’s the HPC (high pressure fuel cock) and it was in there from day-one.
Then in January 1967 Donald shoved the handle forward one last time and set off down the lake.

Thirty-four years later we recovered this-
image004.jpg
Then we worked it back into the cockpit alongside its now fully refurbished, completely original and fully operational LP control, which had moved from its ‘on’ position and so didn’t pose the same problem.
image006.jpg
There are two options here.

1. We can rebuild the original control box and re-install it in the cockpit on its original bracket and connect it to Donald’s original fuel control unit with the original link rods because the FCU is going to run the new engine just as it ran the old one in 67. The panel across the top that actually has ‘Bloctube’ engraved in it…
image008.jpg
…is beyond repair without damaging it further so that would end up in the museum display and we’d have to make a new one but the rest, including all the mechanical bits, will mend easily and go back into the working boat.

But – the downside of doing this is that we’d have to move the lever and it’s a direct link back to the decisions taken by Donald on that cold, January morning over forty years ago. He put it where it is today and it’s not budged a millimetre since.
On a positive note, it would be the same lever performing its old job once again, a small, triumphant two-fingers at the cruel fate that sent K7 to the bottom.

2. We could conserve the original HPC and build a new one. It’s not beyond our talents to produce a perfect copy so you’d not spot the difference but it would be a substantial chunk of fake machinery in the middle of an otherwise almost completely original system while the real-deal, with nothing really wrong with it, would get to end its days in a display case.

The ethics of the Bluebird Project say we mend it whilst the ethics of the greater museum community – and, let’s be fair here, we’re slowly being accepted into their ranks albeit as slight heretics – say it should be conserved and left as-is. We’d really like to accurately gauge opinion here so do us a favour and ask everyone you can think of. The more votes we get the better idea we’ll have of what to do.

Thanks…
The BBP team.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Bull

Re: Opinion Poll- Rebuild or Conserve?

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:49 pm

If I may add my own two pennies worth, I think it would be much appreciated if everyone who votes in the poll can also post their thoughts on the matter- all opinions welcome.

My own personal opinion is to re-use as much of the original box as possible. And having examined the item in question, that would be ALL of it bar the top plate, as Bill said. I can see the argument that the lever is still 'on' where Donald left it, however, the entire boat was as Donald left it, and we've not shied away from fixing that! Or to be slightly less flippant about it, well, he had his foot on the throttle pedal but we're reusing that; the water brake is still extended, so should we leave that alone? The seat structure where the man actually died has already been reinstated; how can that be less sacrosanct than a simple on/off lever?

The BBP mantra is 'It'll fix'. Let's do it!

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:06 pm

My own personal view is to re-instate the HPC and put it back where it belongs doing the job it can still do and is original. I do understand the view of it's a component frozen in time and has been that way since the morning of January 4th but if you remove it and display it surely it takes the component out of context?
I can relate to seeing it in it's position, it's function and capable of doing the same job it did all those years ago if it was back on the boat.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

tas

Post by tas » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:41 pm

I voted rebuild - as far as I can tell the aim is to make bluebird live again using as much original material as is possible.
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:46 pm

i agree with the above posts, if it will fix; fix it. if its back in the boat it is doing the job it was intended for and it wasnt intended to be in a glass case ;)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi All,

It seems I'm there out on a limb again. I know it will not be popular, but my view is, and will always be,

"If the Donald put it there, then that's where it should stay there, for ALL TIME".

Regards, Fred

"I'm just a pest, that won't go away!"

captainbear

Post by captainbear » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:14 pm

My vote goes for rebuild.
Bluebird is a unique craft and we are rebuilding the original, not a copy. If we can use any recovered part, then that's where it belongs.
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer, are we Human or are we Dancer.

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:48 pm

the water brake is still extended, so should we leave that alone?
Hi All,

It's me again, and my views are just the same about this piece Mike.

"The Donald put it down, It should stay down".

As with the Lever, they are "Slots in time", and should remain sacrosanct!. They could also tell part of the story, more effectively as they are. Whereas remade, they as with my little contribution, will probably never be seen again.

As for the cockpit, well, having seen it, and knowing Gina's views on it, it couldn't have been displayed, in whatever form without a rebuild. Having been involved with the rebuild of parts of the Donald's seat, I shall always remain thankfull to Bill for that privilege.

Regards to all, Fred

"I'm just a pest, that won't go away!"

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 pm

The Donald also put it on the bottom of Coniston.............
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Bad example on my part that, as it's not known for certain whether Donald DID put the brake down though, or whether it extended post-crash. But that's a debate which we've already had (and can continue) in another thread. Back to the HP lever...