Out of this World.......

Rotterdam1953

Re: Out of this World.......

Post by Rotterdam1953 »

"two words are cut from the recording"

What's the betting they were probably "**** it" ? ;-)
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

One day, when we get a minute, we'll upload a copy of the final words and the facility to vote on what you think you hear but this week we're ordering rivets. If you want to hear the end of the recording with the going/gone part just go to YouTube and look up Marillion's 'Out of this World'. It's there many times over, albeit not at the greatest quality because it's been edited into a track, but at least it's honest and original. Let us know what you think.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

I'm with Bill; sounds to me like ' ------ I'm Going ---------'.

Immedately prior to this sounds like ' ------------ a lot of turbulence --------------'.

Keith M.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The bit before 'I'm going/gone' is fairly undisputed. My take on it is 'I've got the bows out' though some prefer, 'I've got the bows up'

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

I came to the recording 'cold' and just tried to discern what that preceding phrase was ----------- just shows how difficult retrospective analysis is!

What I would be more forthright about is that I agree that fancy filtering and computer analysis techniques will do little to help. The signal-to-noise ratio of the recording is very poor and frankly the good old ear-brain system take some beating in these situations.

It's downfall is that we humans inevitably apply a subjective overlay to the process which means we're biased by foreknowledge of the subject - particularly by what's been written about it - or it's context. This is true of all human perceptual processes whether they be sight, sound, smell or touch.

The only way that the conundrum could be solved is if there was another pristine recording of Campbell exclaiming 'I'm going' or 'I'm gone'. This could then be used as a mask or template against which the contentious recording could be compared by a computer to see if there was a significant mathematical correlation - (my apologies for launching into technicalities!). Obviously, no such template exists and therefore a definitive outcome as to what exactly was said is unlikely ever to be achieved -----------!
captainbear

Post by captainbear »

The posts expressed on this forum show just why it is such a good idea to have it. The original photographs are a real highlight and I hope there are more to come.
The old chestnut about Donald’s final words has been particularly interesting and raised several good arguments, but I reckon there will probably never be a definite answer to it. K7 only decided to take off as it did, once, and I don’t suppose even a brave man like Donald would have been able to keep talking on the radio in a “normal and controlled” voice as everything went wrong. Perhaps he said something similar as CN7 decided to take flight and that could be compared with the K7 final words. All I do know is my final words certainly wouldn’t be “I’m going” or “I’m gone”!!!
For my money, I hear “I’m goh-on” and it’s the shock in his voice that makes a one-syllable word into two.
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer, are we Human or are we Dancer.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We played the tape in the workshop tonight, a first-generation copy of the reel-to-reel recording made by Corp. Evans on the morning of Jan 4th 67. Most of it is clear enough to be beyond question. Eight of us listened to the final few seconds and only one thought Donald said 'gone' to the open and vociferous disbelief of the other seven. We're looking into how we can get this material onto the BBP site for everyone else to make up their minds.

Rotterdam1953

Post by Rotterdam1953 »

Bill,
Please bring it on....... ;-)

Arthur
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2560957.stm

the BBc reported that this is their interpretation of Donalds last communication at Coniston.... ( see above link )

"The water's dark green and I can't see a bloody thing. Hallo the bow is up. I'm going. I'm on my back. I'm gone".

but i reserve judgement till i've heard a decent recording.....

Excellent forum, at least we can appreciate everyone's input as to what was said :?:
Many Miles away, there's a shadow on a door, of a cottage on the Shore, of a Dark Scottish Lake.....
Rotterdam1953

Post by Rotterdam1953 »

Mike Bull wrote:That BBC thing isn't just misinterpreting words, it's adding whole bits in from nowhere too! :o
This link won't work, so I'm none the wiser.