20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

rich1608

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by rich1608 »

Mystery plane found by divers in the Channel after 50 years https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46624382
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

oooerrr...
there is a passage in 'The Lightning Boys' a book of anecdotes, operations and adventures about the operations of the lightning squadrons of the day, it 'details how a lone american preceded by a single phone call showed up one night, 'borrowed' a plane, returned it 45 mins later less the missiles never to be seen again.
is the anecdote the other side of the BBC story that someone has inadvertently let out of the bag or an ancient aviation 'urban myth'? :o
Richie

Post by Richie »

Sally and I did more training yesterday, well that should read Sally did more training with me yesterday.

All in all a good dive was had with the exception of me diving a smoot too light leaving me with some buoyancy control issues at 6m at the end of the dive.

Looking forward to a good season ahead of us this year.....thinking about getting shot of the stab jacket and going with a backplate and wing, the stab jacket feels really bulky as all :roll:
36094D72-1649-4626-A6C3-87F24DC56479.jpeg
03D6DDE4-6AFD-40ED-B731-64FC9B8C1B0A.jpeg
E8409019-3528-441F-AA67-60C93975B996.jpeg
49E3E2E3-9E8C-47A8-A6A2-55B7B91F2C58.jpeg
FEADEAD2-92F5-45AB-AC88-97F64EB04BAB.jpeg
57C9DA9F-0BB0-4780-9351-677657406664.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFb0SAWXQw

found this online during my lunch break, a particular wreck / story that i am interested in greatly.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Best get some diving experience in then and we'll go for a dip on it.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Another season is shortly upon us, prepping kit, still think a trip away would be good... Red Sea ? Malta ? Norway ?

What is the number one wreck to dive ?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Has to be the Oslofjord. Still much to steal from it. Do divers still do that or are the rumours true that they've gone all PC?

Richie

Post by Richie »

Big no no now.

Days of blowing brass and bronze of wrecks has long since passed.

Interesting note on Oslofjord is that she was thoroughly salvaged back in the 70’s I believe...what lies off the south pier is merely a scrap pile now.

So where does that leave others wishing to rescue articles from the scrap pile ? I’d imagine who ever purchased the wreck back then still owns salvage rights, have always wondered though.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Then there is the question of items which are not on the wreck itself and cannot necessarily be attributed to said wreck ? What’s the script with those items ? In terms of the North Sea, more often than not you will find an empty shell casing lying in the sand which has either been fired during the war, or has come from a wreck and has been carried away during one of many storms.

The mind boggles really.

Either way we have more “dive-able” wrecks per mile than pretty much anywhere else in the world with the exception of the skeleton coast.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Then there is the question of items which are not on the wreck itself
You've gone wrong if you managed to get off the wreck and onto sand. :lol:

I can see the point of protecting certain wrecks of historical significance or where great loss of life occurred out of respect for descendants but there are literally hundreds of nondescript old steamships lying fizzing away on the bottom of the sea that no one cares about and are so insignificant to history that not one has been preserved so where is the harm in lifting a piece of brass and polishing it up for the mantelpiece? At least its telling a bit of its story instead of none at all.