klingon

Re: Bluebird Cafe Flooded

Post by klingon »

Got me thinking-wonder if the Ruskins ok? :?:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Never mind the Ruskin - my boat will be on the edge of floating off its trailer. Bad do with the Bluebird Cafe though, Phil and Judith have spent a lot of money on it of late.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

I hope Phil and Judith are able to recover from the flood devastation soon.
The western fells bore the brunt of the horrific weather last week, and the water level of the lake must the risen a good 6-8 feet.... Let's hope this week does not bring more of the same

Here is a pic of the cafe from 1947 when it was originally used as the boatmans office. MDC and the converted K4 with the goblin jet were housed alongside in a temporary shed. It should help illustrate the extent of last weeks flood.

neil
MDC Coniston 47.jpg
K4 Jet Coniston 47.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

sheppane wrote:
Here is a pic of the cafe from 1947 when it was originally used as the boatmans office. MDC and the converted K4 with the goblin jet were housed alongside in a temporary shed. It should help illustrate the extent of last weeks flood.

neil
MDC Coniston 47.jpg
K4 Jet Coniston 47.jpg
Neil

Many thanks for sharing these very interesting pictures of the Goblin-engined version of K4, aka the Coniston Slipper. I have never seen these before - are they part of a private collection, or have I ovelooked them in a publication? Are there any more?

I am sure everyone is devastated by the events at the Bluebird cafe. It's tragic and I hope the worst is now over so the repairs can commence.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi All
The lake has receded but still dangerously high and could once again engulf the Bluebird cafe!!! Having to leave our own cellar to dry out before continuing the stock lose I went down yesterday and helped squeegee the B.B. Cafe out. Both Phil and Judith both amazed at my tool going furiously to work dragging out the muddy water and sludge from every corner. We dragged Fridge after fridge out and lifted lino moved chairs tables etc etc etc. And after an afternoons work the old cafe was starting to look its old self again. Obviously stock was damaged as was the ground cupboards etc and anything up to three and half feet high or so!! At one point an Idiot asked if the cafe was open and serving food!! unbelievable !! We all await the lowering of the lake considerably more than it is at current. However the rain still remains to start and stop! The North end of the lake is littered with all sorts of rubbish one noticeable item is the gangway/ walkway platform from Gondola which sits in the field across the road from the lake at the north end!! And the floating pontoon that you board the Coniston launch has lifted clear of the Metal locating posts on three points and is hanging on just by the fourth one. However it has broken its back and in serious danger of floating away as white horses lashed up and down again on the lake this afternoon.

Bill I ain't forgot the old girl meant to text you as soon as I got some solid information as you cannot get anywhere near to her at present. I was told today by one of the boat lads that some boats have floated free of the trailers but I am hoping that Pred boxed in at the bottom of the yard will have survived?? Will let you know the extent of any damage once i get near to the old girl . I ain't got a wet suit as waders would not do the job as to dam deep and dangerous with craft floating about . Looks pretty bad from boat shed as at top of yard boats lying every where!! Will give you a call once I know more. Will try to get some pics for you guys which will shock you!!

Novie

I'll be back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Assuming I still have a boat - and we're good at fixing them if she's got herself wet - we still plan to have a shufty on the lakebed for that damned dashboard. I'd so like to get that back but we've not had so much as a sniff.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

From much experience of recovering bits of that boat I'd regard it as highly unlikely that the dash would have disappeared completely under the mud but it is possible. There was only a very small corner of the F-15 bulkhead showing and that big chunk of cockpit frame was only flagged by a piece of F-19 poking out of the silt but it was big and heavy and will have sunk like a brick. The dash will undoubtedly have been crumpled and therefore at least some of it should be showing. But where? The only place we've not really cleaned out is the western side of the crash site. The only substantial piece we've found over there is Donald himself so that's the next, and only remaining, target area to be searched.

sal the diver

Post by sal the diver »

novie

give my regards to judith and phil, i was only in there the other week. if i'd have known it was that bad i'd have come up with me dry suit to help out. if you need us let me know, always willing to do a trip up north!

sal
who me???
sal the diver

Post by sal the diver »

Renegadenemo wrote:From much experience of recovering bits of that boat I'd regard it as highly unlikely that the dash would have disappeared completely under the mud but it is possible. There was only a very small corner of the F-15 bulkhead showing and that big chunk of cockpit frame was only flagged by a piece of F-19 poking out of the silt but it was big and heavy and will have sunk like a brick. The dash will undoubtedly have been crumpled and therefore at least some of it should be showing. But where? The only place we've not really cleaned out is the western side of the crash site. The only substantial piece we've found over there is Donald himself so that's the next, and only remaining, target area to be searched.
better get me hoover out then eh!!!
it will be somewhere and i'm sure you'll find it :-)
who me???
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Thanks for the kind offer Sal but there's god knows what floating around that boat yard at the moment! All sorts of hidden dangers!! Will pass on your regards to Phil And Judith. Bill any chance you could post one or two of them horrific pics we managed finally to forward up to you on the forum?

Been down the boat yard and water level continues to drop very slowly. Raining again here!!Lashing down!!!

Some kids were walking on top of the big black winter feed (silage?) bags floating around the field until it was pointed out to the parents that them things way anything up to a Tonne and a half dry. And if the child suddenly slipped of the top, went under and got trapped by one of them, well!! A local farmer last year had one fall from a trailer and crushed his head!! He died months after coming out of a coma!! The Idiots soon got them down!

Novie
I'll Be Back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"