Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

Probably on winter opening.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Had a deeper go at finding out what's what today. I have some deep-rooted friendships in the village so I made a few calls and I've asked whether a few ears could be put to the ground and transcripts from the jungle telegraph be communicated but the amazing fact of the matter seems to be that no one has a clue what, if anything, is being organised. The key players appear to be off the radar and comm's are down.
Now, bearing in mind that we have to prep K7 for another outing (and that's a big job) whilst the working group has to get permission for and then organise an event for more than a handful of visitors it's all a little perturbing.

So, what do we do? We could say, sorry folks, it doesn't seem to be happening so we're going to run elsewhere because there's now an army of good people who would love to see K7 in action and therein lies a fabulous opportunity for a community somewhere that they will grasp with both hands. But if we do that we hand over an instant Get Out of Jail Free card to those who ought to be organising the proposed Coniston gig. Too easy to simply accuse us of pulling the rug.

"Ah, but for that dastardly BBP crew we would have been ready in time," I hear them cry...

But leave it too late and people will get stuffed on accommodation they've booked in good faith or have their plans confused to their detriment and that's without the race to the finish we'd face with the possibility of putting on less of an event at an alternate venue than we would otherwise be capable of hosting. It's a tricky one for us.

Damned if we do - damned if we don't.

I did pitch to the working group that they aim for 2020 and take a longer run at the problem but I was summarily shot out of the water and asked what my problem was. My problem was that I had a pretty clear grasp of what was needed having been intimately involved in what it took to get us to Bute and I felt they needed that bit of extra time having let us get ahead of them.

What we basically did was ask the Mount Stuart Trust if we could blast a 1950s jet-powered anachronism through their Site of Special Scientific Interest in front of the world's media and, by the way, we've never done anything like this before. Then we had to tick a million boxes to make it happen. We made it look easy because we have the best team in the world and so we have been told that it was easy compared to getting onto Coniston because the loch is privately owned, which it isn't, and that Coniston is a different ball-game, which it is, but Loch Fad took just under a year whilst Coniston has had a decade and a half to sort themselves out so that ought to have levelled the field.

If Coniston calls tomorrow and says, actually, you had a point, another year will give us all a better product, I would be in total support of that and back their effort to the hilt but this radio silence, if it continues, is going to force us to make the calls and that is neither professional on their part nor fair on us.

Coniston - speak to us...

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Its about time for Coniston and the LDNPA etc etc to either S#%t or get off the pot .
There are many many people who want to see K7 run and this bunch of tree hugging lame brains couldnt organize a rota for a two hole outhouse .
Just tell em to stick the Coniston run where the sun dont shine and take K7 on a travelling road show and charge admission to see her .
Problem solved .
Rant over :D
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Just tell em to stick the Coniston run where the sun don't shine and take K7 on a travelling road show and charge admission to see her
Oh if only it were so simple... BBP is strictly not for profit for starters so any monetisation of our efforts has to be commensurate with our expenditure and no more, but that's not difficult. Then there's the fact that the boat is co-owned by the museum, who inherited the wreck, and the BBP who provided the other half so it would be good to go into the next stage with agreement all round - I mean, we only want the boat for three months of the year and that's the three when they said they didn't want us there anyway and they can show off all our hard work the rest of the time - so it would be good to go off to our next gig with the museum and/or the village following with their stall to set up wherever we go to promote or sell their wares but it's a little difficult to get that organised when no one is talking. I'll try again today.

Richie

Post by Richie »

keep trying Bill, I gave up in the end yesterday trying to get through, its all very weird :(

Come on guys we are trying to get the 2019 gig organised too, pick up the phone or at the very least send us a message !

if for any reason its a no go, let us know, it isn't a problem there is always next year "bigger and better"
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Much digging reveals that two of the main players seem to have gone off on holiday, and that is fair enough, they live in a place where tourism is the main source of income so taking a break in January makes a lot of sense. But there's a massive deal going on here and it would appear that no one has been left in charge to keep the wheels turning, respond to comm's or even make sure that the website stays live.

For all that we at the BBP give the impression of being somewhat maverick and irreverent (because we usually are), when it boils down to it we are actually consummate professionals, a band of brothers and sisters who have the best fun messing in our workshop whilst hiding behind our silliness but at the end of the day we do things right. So, if two of our most important number were to take time off, you can bet that those remaining would be thoroughly briefed on every possible eventuality should they have to step up and hold the fort while the gaffers are in absentia.

My prediction is this - we'll end up having to decide the go/no-go date ourselves and just trust to common sense that folk will believe that we gave a fair chance to those who should have had it written into their plan in the first place a very long time ago.

The BBP will make every possible endeavour to display K7 this year somewhere and we will let you know with as much notice as we can.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:01 am My prediction is this - we'll end up having to decide the go/no-go date ourselves and just trust to common sense that folk will believe that we gave a fair chance to those who should have had it written into their plan in the first place a very long time ago.
Perhaps your prediction could be correct Bill. However some person may have a 'wag' and choose either the last Friday in March or the first Monday in April. [just nine weeks away].
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

If it's Scotland, would it be Bute again or a longer lake? The good thing about Loch Fad on Bute is, that I'd think from water conditions it should be possible to run fast RC boats as support act and I'd think there is a chance to get permissions to do so, while I doubt this will be allowed on Coniston Water.

Anyway, I think the BBP team must define a reasonable date until all permissions for a run on Coniston Water must be available, so you can start planning from your side. I think everyone understands that this date will not be very far from now.

BR,
Joerg
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Joerg,

We plan an outing to somewhere this year - way too many people clamouring to see K7 run to let them down - would you bring your high speed RC craft to to join us? The video clips I've seen are awesome. It would be great to see them for real and to meet the people involved and to learn more about it all. We'll sort the permissions.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

During a period with little activity I took a look to see if the LDNPA were discussing the Proving Trial of Bluebird K7 (they held a meeting of the Authority last week). Nothing came to light but the following link is on their website.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/aboutus/ ... rd-k7-faqs

They do get asked questions it seems.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England