Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

longarmedgibbon

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by longarmedgibbon »

She will eventually be back on coniston at some point, just a little bit of patience by eveyone i think. Ian lazenby
Richie

Post by Richie »

Well said Ian.... as soon as we know what went wrong we can disseminate the info, problem is, officially we don't know what went wrong, we can only speculate (which doesn't help)

perhaps worth wrapping this thread up (in my humble opinion) starting a new one titled "2019 operations" :)

rather be positive where I can.........
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Richie wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:28 pm perhaps worth wrapping this thread up ….. starting a new one titled "2019 operations"
I would support that view. However I hope someone in Coniston is planning for 2020, because that event seems to need a long lead in time.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I think even 2020 would be a stretch. It seems to take an absolute age to get anything done and there's roads to close and all sorts of time consuming things to organise.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

20..TBA for Coniston which is cool, but we still have to salvage 2019 as yet :)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Well l've messaged the museum asking if they, as co-owner and partners, would care to run a joint venture with us but no reply as yet so l say we go do another training exercise on Loch Fad.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:19 pm I think even 2020 would be a stretch.
Coniston is a village which can organise popular events such as the Country Fair and the Coniston 14 lake perimeter run and hosts many other major cold swimming and running activity during the rest of the year. (And feeds and shelters those who want to reach the summit of the Old Man). It is a village which can accommodate some of the tens of millions who now visit the Lake District area each year. I feel sure that 2020 is a practicable traget for planning an event which includes the Proving Trial of K7.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Coniston is a village which can organise popular events such as the Country Fair and the Coniston 14 lake perimeter run and hosts many other major cold swimming and running activity during the rest of the year. (And feeds and shelters those who want to reach the summit of the Old Man). It is a village which can accommodate some of the tens of millions who now visit the Lake District area each year. I feel sure that 2020 is a practicable traget for planning an event which includes the Proving Trial of K7.
Fair comment - but those are old and established events with people who know how they go. Nor do those events affect or need the approval of so many stakeholders or impinge on so many laws, rules and regulations. Not saying it couldn't be done but I can say with absolute certainty that as of today there simply doesn't exist the infrastructure to pull it off any time soon. With the best will in the world, and knowing what we know about doing this, 2020 would be a stretch for anyone.

That said, I do love a good success story and a triumph over insuperable odds so the day we rock up to a properly planned event at Coniston all this nonsense will be ancient history and forgotten and we'll be the heroes of the hour and everyone enjoys a bit of that so bring it on.

I had a good chat with a village elder on Sunday who wanted to know why the boat wasn't in the museum yet. The main reason, I explained, is that it's not finished and wouldn't be in the museum anyway by now despite us taking the half-finished machine to Bute last year but I pointed out also that I've been trying to get dialogue going about us having access and being able to get the boat out again for as long as I can remember and the museum is yet to come to the table.

It's a bit like the fact that we're not going to Coniston in the depths of winter or when the kids are locked up in school. That's a no-brainer to pretty much everyone on the planet but it took some getting through and even then it proved too late. And, equally, we're not putting the boat in the museum to have the doors locked behind her with no means to get her back out again because she must be run, maintained properly and toured so the sooner that goes in and a deal is struck the sooner we display all our hard work in the museum for part of the year. Failing that we'll get the workshop made safe and friendly and open that to the public so you can all come see her there in the meantime and have a brew with the team.

Has to be said - it's not for the want of us trying.

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

The bit I dont get is why all the parties involved . BBP , BEWG , LDNPA ,Ruskin folks etc all not just agree to meet at a local pub put there differences (if there are any) aside and over a few pints hash things out and agree on something and end all this mindless speculation.
Hell I’ll even buy the beer if thats what it takes :mrgreen: :D
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Careful, That Elderflower tonic and fancy Mineral water is expensive don't you know.