Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

Very very well said .
I would like to second that. Thank you, Joerg.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Interesting reading quotes about what Donald would think about recent activities. Go back many decades to what he said if an accident occurred 'Donald stays with the boat'. If someone had put it to him that after an accident the boat would be recovered and rebuilt to be driven by someone else as a form of public entertainment one does not have to think too hard to conjure up his reply.

The situation as it is today must not be allowed to continue month after month year after year. A resolution must be reached that satisfies those who originally contributed towards the project and the building of the Ruskin extension on the basis of the information offered at that time to attract that support.

Fairly obvious I am a lone voice on the forum but I am happy to stay and provoke those of a differing point of view into having some fun at my expense.
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Ernie Lazenby wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm as a form of public entertainment
So are you saying would should close every musuem and banish all historic artifacts never to be seen or heard again ?
The BBP team has emphatically said over and over and over repeatedly infinitum that they want her to be displayed at a time when kids can see and hear and learn and be EDUCATED about the whole K7 story and just possibly some of them will be inspired to be our future engineers or world record breakers themselves .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Interesting reading quotes about what Donald would think about recent activities. Go back many decades to what he said if an accident occurred 'Donald stays with the boat'. If someone had put it to him that after an accident the boat would be recovered and rebuilt to be driven by someone else as a form of public entertainment one does not have to think too hard to conjure up his reply.
in point of fact, the 'Donald and boat staying together' thing had nothing to do with there ever being an accident and is more usually (and likely more accurately) applied to the dying days of 1964 when friends were pressing him to abandon his attempt on the double and to leave Australia for home.

In the event of his death he left the boat in his will to Leo with instructions to carry on the good work and continue to show off K7. What was it Gina said on the banks of Loch Fad last August.

"Hey, Dad. I wish you were here to see this for yourself..."

As for a resolution - that could all have been wrapped up long ago. 9 months in the museum, 3 months on tour. Just needs the paperwork signed. And, of course, we need to finish building the boat.

Richie

Post by Richie »

I suddenly feel like this thread has rewound back to three or four months ago....
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Each to their own, all opinions welcomed and discussed fairly.

However I will abstain from hence forth as I personally feel we are raking over old
ground again, we need to look forwards now instead of constantly backwards.

The crud about Donald would have like this or that, or said this or that is nonesense, no one knows except him......and if he were alive today his opinions may likely have been different to that of 1967.

Top and bottom of this gig is simple.

Boat has been restored by a small dedicated team, the boat is co owned by the PM of that team and the Ruskin..... it’s up to those individuals to decide what happens next.

Gina’s desires often get overlooked even though she is the direct blood descendant of Donald....Gina wants to show our hard work off and raise awareness about her dad, it’s as simple as that.

9 months on display keeping warm and dry 3 months living and breathing, it’s a small ask for 18 years of graft.

Peace.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Sorry, just a matter of interest, So did Leo then deed the boat to somebody else on his death or did in effect he never take possession because it was at the bottom of Coniston and was never passed to him by Donalds estate ? If nobody can answer then that's fine.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

He just left it and it remained with the estate.

Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Thanks Bill
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

Ernie Lazenby wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm The situation as it is today must not be allowed to continue month after month year after year. A resolution must be reached that satisfies those who originally contributed towards the project and the building of the Ruskin extension on the basis of the information offered at that time to attract that support.
Ernie, could you please explain what our solution would look like and why this would be a good solution to you - and also for all the other K7 and DC enthusiasts around the world?

From what I read you do not like to see K7 run again. But you do like to show her in the museum, in fully restored condition as she looked in the morning before the crash. But what else than "public entertainment" is showing something in a museum? Don't get me wrong, to me there is nothing bad about "public entertainment" - when it is educational, inspiring and ment in the best way to honour someone. Following this thought, I just think the experience is a lot more inspiring and touching when such a machine is breathing and roaring.

So what make is OK to show K7 dead in the museum, while it is completely wrong to respectfully wake her up once in a while and run her at safe speed?

BR,
Joerg