Technical Talk

huszarail

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by huszarail »

can you see the serial No? It's on the plate of course but might also be etched on the main bodies also. Usually B.XXXXX or maybe B.XXXXXL or LR. Could possibly ID the pump from the number for you.
I'm only a man from Del Monte..........
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's no evidence on any of the components and the problem with the makers plate is that the floor came up to meet it (more evidence of an engine mount failure because it shouldn't have been able to do that) and stamped a big scratch right through the middle but based on the above we seem to have B XXX R so it looks like a very early pump. I've been speaking with some of the top brass at Goodrich today so fingers crossed the answer isn't far away.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
huszarail

Post by huszarail »

Yes, back in the mists of time the letter R was added when the unit was returned for repair /overhaul.
Good luck with the big noises. I wonder if anything will filter down my way ?

We did units for the Vulcan here (not me personally) and a while ago gave some help to Mr Noble when he was contemplating an RB211 powered record machine (Blue Ribband challenger?) so we're usually up for a challenge.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The pump is eight hundred and something so it's definitely an early one and the good news is that it's about ready to go back together. Lord knows how we're going to function test it though. You got a test rig?

huszarail

Post by huszarail »

Goodrich Marston Green has a test hall full of them. Have capacity for B, C, D, DD,TD and BB series pumps.
Who did you speak to at Goodrich ? Wayne McNally is Manager European Operations, based at Marston Green.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The issue with obtaining support for these antiquated systems is not so much technical as ethical. A company like Goodrich has to be sure that a bunch of nutters with an old jet engine is not going to blow themselves up whilst aided and abetted by a global aerospace supplier. They have a duty of care and we have to convince them that we're sensible people who will do as we're told and operate any supported equipment safely. It's a completely reasonable stance, Rolls-Royce Plc were exactly the same when we went to see them about running an Orpheus but after discussions with their legal-eagles and a few techies they eventually released a wealth of technical data and wheeled in some retired Orph' engineers to keep us right. We'll get there.

huszarail

Re: Pic of the Day 23/11/09

Post by huszarail »

Well the pump remains look like an MGD, type unknown, from that view.

You're absolutely right, you most definately need buy in from the system design authority. Having R-R on board would add strength to the case especially as Goodrich and Rolls Royce have entered a joint venture for future system design and development. Going by the name Aero Engine Controls.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The pump type still remains a mystery... And there's another widget with lots of pipes coming out of it and a plate on it that says 'BUILT TO LAB REPORT 4780/F' Now what could that possibly mean?

huszarail

Post by huszarail »

Only a guess, as I found nothing on our report databases and they do carry some ancient scripture! Could be that widget was built and /or calibrated away from a recognised configuration or test calibration and it recorded the fact. It seems likely as your Orph would have little requirement for any of the usual altitude calibrations for example, even if it did briefly soar into the air :(
Could you post a Pic of said widget ?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Three units here, it's the gubbins on the right. It's something to do with the PRC or the AFRC, I assume.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.