Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

thunderer

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by thunderer »

Filtertron wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm
[snip][/snip]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-vHf5pnT4[/youtube]

Youtube embedding doesn't seem to be functional?
Filtertron

You simply place the "cp-vHf5pnT4" bit (the section AFTER the equals symbol in the link) between the youtube tags to call the video.

Here it is as called by [_youtube]cp-vHf5pnT4[/youtube_] but without the Underscore n the calling tags

Also, please drop the prefix of "The" before bluebird (Blue Bird) or K7 as there is no real need for it. It's akin to the "Flying Scotsman" (Locomotive) Being referred to as "The flying scotsman" which is actually the train it hauled. The prefix of "The" changes the context and reference.
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

Will the k7 and cn7 be filmed/pictured together again i wonder. Ian lazenby
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Word on the street is that the BEWG has been disbanded and is no more!

If they hope to get the boat on Coniston Water in 2020 it's now going to require superhuman effort from someone.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
wbjohn

Post by wbjohn »

"Word on the street is that the BEWG has been disbanded and is no more!"
So sad if true, Bluebird needs to run on Coniston
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That has always been the plan but they will have to get their collective finger out now if it's to happen in the foreseeable future.

Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

thunderer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:26 pm
Filtertron wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm
[snip][/snip]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-vHf5pnT4[/youtube]

Youtube embedding doesn't seem to be functional?
Filtertron

You simply place the "cp-vHf5pnT4" bit (the section AFTER the equals symbol in the link) between the youtube tags to call the video.

Here it is as called by [_youtube]cp-vHf5pnT4[/youtube_] but without the Underscore n the calling tags

Also, please drop the prefix of "The" before bluebird (Blue Bird) or K7 as there is no real need for it. It's akin to the "Flying Scotsman" (Locomotive) Being referred to as "The flying scotsman" which is actually the train it hauled. The prefix of "The" changes the context and reference.
Thanks for that. I'll also watch my prefixing from now on too.
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

To give some idea of how much of a drawcard the Bluebird is, check this video out. This was filmed in Kaniva. A small town in Victoria's (Australia) west. The whole town turned out to see it roll through the main street with CN7, and the cavalcade. This is more than possible again, and could be a good way for Coniston to advertise itself, or sell items to raise funds for K7's upkeep. Towns would flock to see her, wherever she'd go.
I remember one of those, wanting to beat yourself unconscious with a housebrick, meetings of whatever committee was at the time talking about taking K7 back to Coniston.
The concern was that if we rocked up in the village with K7 the place would be gridlocked - saw that in Bute, it was amazing - so I proposed that we began in South Lakes and spent a whole day touring all the way back up one side then down the other to end in Coniston and as we progressed we could announce the time of our imminent arrival at the next village or whatever (would be even easier now with Twitterface-Instagroom as this was some years ago) and in each location we could shake a tin, sell a few DVDs, old Mrs Cannybody could hobble down the front path on her stick for a look, the kids could put down their toys and line the streets (because this would be in the school holidays, obviously) and no one would have to go very far for a look so nowhere would get gridlocked and we could roll into Coniston as the finale of our grand tour - problem solved.

"But we want it first," I was told... FFS!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Mailed our museum partners today suggesting a JV with regard to running this summer. Will revert when/if we get a reply. Fingers crossed.

Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

Renegadenemo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:39 pm
To give some idea of how much of a drawcard the Bluebird is, check this video out. This was filmed in Kaniva. A small town in Victoria's (Australia) west. The whole town turned out to see it roll through the main street with CN7, and the cavalcade. This is more than possible again, and could be a good way for Coniston to advertise itself, or sell items to raise funds for K7's upkeep. Towns would flock to see her, wherever she'd go.
I remember one of those, wanting to beat yourself unconscious with a housebrick, meetings of whatever committee was at the time talking about taking K7 back to Coniston.
The concern was that if we rocked up in the village with K7 the place would be gridlocked - saw that in Bute, it was amazing - so I proposed that we began in South Lakes and spent a whole day touring all the way back up one side then down the other to end in Coniston and as we progressed we could announce the time of our imminent arrival at the next village or whatever (would be even easier now with Twitterface-Instagroom as this was some years ago) and in each location we could shake a tin, sell a few DVDs, old Mrs Cannybody could hobble down the front path on her stick for a look, the kids could put down their toys and line the streets (because this would be in the school holidays, obviously) and no one would have to go very far for a look so nowhere would get gridlocked and we could roll into Coniston as the finale of our grand tour - problem solved.

"But we want it first," I was told... FFS!
Seems like a well thought out plan to me. Unfortunately, impatience beats practicality (again...). If you can convince them that it was their idea though...
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Seems like a well thought out plan to me. Unfortunately, impatience beats practicality (again...). If you can convince them that it was their idea though...
The problem is that the committee mentality was designed to fill a vacuum where no useful leadership existed so that everyone feels important while it cripples forwards such that no one has to actually take the bull by the tail and face the situation when it all goes wrong because they can all run away as equals if it does.

Does this chime with current events, by any chance?