Bluebird & Other Scale Models

pmc

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by pmc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 am

There was that 3d scan a while ago...
Any thought of releasing that data?
Or doing another scan when closer to complete?

midlife

Post by midlife » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote: I believe it would be well received if the BBP at some time in the future produced an accurate plan for model makers.

Hi Ernie,
I remember a while back the old girl was 3D scanned, unfortunately at the time she didn’t have a completed body.
Thinking to the future & younger modellers, it would be wonderful if another scan could be done when she’s completed, if that was made available it would ensure that most models going forward would be a rivet counters dream👍
Cheers
Wayne
Edit, oops, I must remember to read all posts before I reply, sorry chaps

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Modellers may wish to watch out for an in depth article I am writing for UK Model Boats Magazine, 'Powering model boats with gas turbine engines'
Of course K7 will be included, big and small versions. The editor of the magazine is like me a life long Bluebird enthusiast, he refers to K7 as his all time favourite machine. The main focus of the article will be to explain how to get the best out of these engines in models with safety factors an essential feature.

Readers may find this amusing, currently the UK Model Power Boat Association wont insure gas turbine powered boats but that's under review. One of the Uk's insurance companies that does cover models also won't cover gas turbines. The one I built, now owned by my son longarmedgibbon, is insured by the UK model flight association!! Difficult to get ones head around all that isn't it!

mickday

Post by mickday » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi Ernie any idea when this article will be published? Would be very interested to read this.

I too have been in touch with Model Power Boat Association and the last update that I received from them was that gas turbine rules and insurance should be in place March/April this year.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi. I spoke to Peter Revill who handles insurance matters for the MPBA, he was not sure when the new insurance would be available but mentioned it was likely to be this year. As for my article; I contacted the editor recently regarding several articles of mine that are pending publication and sought his authorisation for the article to be a bit of cross over between the full size K7 and the models. I think if I get my gas turbine article finished soon it will appear before those yet to be published.** I hope to get some photographs of the latest Wren gas turbine this coming weekend, one of my friends who is busy building a 1/8th scale K7 powered by the latest wren engine is visiting my son to examine/photograph the model I made. I hope to have the finished article on the editors desk before 31st March,

** Barbie goes water sking- a working model I designed and made of a water skier, one that has no under water appendages has scale skies and a tow rope. As the wording says I used a Barbie doll.1/6th scale. The other article is how to convert static models to RC. Loads of static models coming out of the far east- nice sideboard models but with care some can be converted. The famous American race boat Dixie is one of them, the other is Riva Aquarama Zoom.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:23 pm

1908 Dixie. Converted from a static model to RC. Fancy driving that with all the muck coming out of the exhausts? 8 cylinder Crane-Whitman 200HP engine. One of the last racing boats designed with a displacement hull.
P1010200.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Here's the Crusader I made, the one that helped me formulate an idea as to the cause of crash. Very quick RC model. Sadly I sold it to a very rich man who made me an offer I could not refuse (He also bought Spirit of Australia, Slo Mo Shun and Miss England 11)
preview_cru3lge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:14 pm

RC 1/8th scale model of Slo Mo Shun shown as the full size boat was when first run. This is the boat that pushed Donald to greater things. Model took first prize at a model show in Windermere.
preview_Ernie1.jpg

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:09 pm

“I hope to get some photographs of the latest Wren gas turbine this coming weekend, one of my friends who is busy building a 1/8th scale K7 powered by the latest wren engine” - are you aware the original Wren went into administration, and the second incarnation of the company has also been liquidated??? I trust speedline models will receive some credit for “your” model Ernie?

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 pm

you cannot resist it Chris can you. I borrowed the plugs from Speedline to make the set of mouldings that would work. Needed altering and making much lighter than the one you had made for you then sold because it did not work.(I think it was you?) Most of my work is scratch built I don't need to buy other folks stuff. The one I made/built, whatever, was the first 1/6th scale model of K7 in the UK powered by a gas turbine that worked as well as that shown in the you tube videos and remains so today so far as I have seen of others. My expertise is getting these scale models to run correctly, many try and fail as you are well aware I think. I spent ages trying to get Miss Campbells previous partners model of K7 to work correctly including rebuilding some of it, it sort of worked but was too heavy. The last I heard of that one the sponson arms had become detached. I declined a request to repair it.
Speedline deservedly got a mention in an article I wrote for Marine Modelling Magazine 16 years ago. It wont be mentioned in my latest one because its not germane to the main thrust.

I will be very happy to acknowledge in my next article the asistance given to me by Bill Smith very recently when I visited North Shields and was allowed to photograph K7 again and watch the engine being run up. Surprised? you should not be Bill Smith and I are all grown up! I enjoyed meeting the team. It was freezing cold but the engine warmed me up- fingers in ears though! We talked 'boat' not politics.

Thank you for the info re wrens I was not aware they had gone bust. A shame, they were a very good company. It matters not for my article. Re the 'latest build' it was the latest build when my friend bought it second hand! I have just clarified that with him.