Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Black Knight

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Black Knight »

Yes
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Its big at 48 inches long. Yes its going to have a gas turbine engine. My mission before I fall off the perch is to get a GT powered crusader to work. I did it with electric version but this will be a real challenge. Much more to do before I even start to think about the mechanical side.
DSCN6433.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

BTW The little booklet was published in 1952. Its rare and can attract good money. I recall David Tremayne having to pay well over £100 to get one via ebay. I hope to make this model as detailed as is possible from what is available. I have a set of drawings produced in 1967 by Vosper's ship drawing office. At 1/8th scale it will be an impressive model if it runs well.
mickday

Post by mickday »

Nice work Ernie, will be interested to see how you get on. Which GT are you planing on powering it with?
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Time to own up! It was always my plan to scratch build this one or Quicksilver, possibly both but my health and age may not allow that so; one of my friends in the model boat world, yes I do have some friends left :lol: informed me that what you see was for sale at £60. Build many years ago by a very skilled modeller who drew out his own 1/8th scale plans from Vospers. I drove down today and picked up the model which has been well built but is very light weight. Needs strengthening up in places and the sponsons are not fixed in place. A lot to do but it gives me a part finished canvas to work on. Hopefully I will be able to do a quicksilver after I finish this model, if the grim reaper allows me time and the grey matter keeps on working.

As for a turbine, it will be probably be a Turbine solutions Hornet 85E 19 lbs of thrust or the Wren 50i which TS are selling. Both around the £1900 mark.
RichM

Post by RichM »

I was going to say Ernie, you did well to knock that up in a few days! Like you say, great canvas to work on and will no doubt be a fab model when it’s done - there’s never any doubt you’ll get it to work.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I would really, really, REALLY like a large scale model of Crusader, for obvious reasons, but not an easy one to produce as a kit?

That Quicksilver, I'd agree with Ernie, not the four pointer. The four pointer was he "K7" with the four sponsons.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I've never been a very enthusiastic model maker except for the occasional Airfix Spitfire when I was much younger but that Miss Britain III in polished aluminium about three feet long would look rather nice. Hmmm. Wonder who could build such a thing.

Anyway, Steve. I know you have some detailed info on Crusader. Did you never build those flying balsa models as a kid? From what I've seen you have the plans to cut all your Crusader parts out of quarter ply and put that together on your dining room table.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Renegadenemo wrote:I've never been a very enthusiastic model maker except for the occasional Airfix Spitfire when I was much younger but that Miss Britain III in polished aluminium about three feet long would look rather nice. Hmmm. Wonder who could build such a thing.
Look in the mirror Bill, I can’t think of anyone with a better skill set[.]
Cheers
Wayne

RichM

Post by RichM »

I’m on the case with a 1/12 crusader - it’s 3rd in the queue at the moment!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.