The Bluebird Project Website

ace_chris

The Bluebird Project Website

Post by ace_chris »

I have some feedback on the Bluebird Project website.

Great to see the addition of new pictures on the Homepage. How about changing them on a weekly instead of daily basis? Potentially people may only check the site once or twice a week and miss the new pics (which are great!). Might also save the web-master some time.

Is it worth removing the animated K7 on the pre-home page, it does get a bit painful after having to 'skip flash intro' time after time.

Wasn't sure if you are aware but there are a bunch of members on this board with really random names, literally random letters. Would't want you to become victims of spammers or trolls.

Chris

www.AssuredCustomerExperience.co.uk
Helping You Deliver Your Best Service
Renegadenemo

Re: The Bluebird Project Website

Post by Renegadenemo »

Change the pic weekly - then people would only come here once a week and we want them every day.

As for removing the animation, we've discussed that at length but it's part of the fixtures and fittings now. It was cutting-edge back in October 2000 when we rigged up a computer to some stray phone lines at the back of the Sun Hotel and started uploading our diary so it stays, for all its quirkiness.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Phone lines in Coniston?!!! What ever next, thought they were still using smoke signals up there! ;)
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hey, even our mobiles work there these days but it wasn't so easy back then. The hotel had an antiquated switchboard that charged the guests about a million quid a minute. Phones in your hotel room were still a way of making money for the hotel in those days so we had to bypass that without upsetting their system. Graeme Connacher and Alain made that work while I was locked in a tiny room with a Win95 machine and an early version of MS Word to write something about what was going on. Alain had a digital camera - gadget man that he was - so we even had photographs that didn't have to be developed at Boots.
We take the Internet for granted these days but it was a big, scary thing back then. Next we had a web diary - now known as a 'blog', which is a word I hate with a passion as it sounds like something that comes out of your nose when you're full of cold - and a Flash animation. One day we'll win the retro-website awards, mark my words...

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

-----------Is it worth removing the animated K7 on the pre-home page, it does get a bit painful after having to 'skip flash intro' time after time -------------------
Chris

Chris - there is a simple solution; have the full menu page URL in your bookmarks folder rather than the home page:
http://www.bluebirdproject.com/Bluebird ... /frame.htm

Keith
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That works - I'll ask Alain if he can offer it as an option on the homepage. In fact, maybe you guys are right and the animation sould be popped in the archive. Got us thinking again over here... Another argument we had about binning it is that new visitors will either know they've got the right place or be curious enough to come in having seen a strange blue boat shoot by. Any other suggestions?

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Renegadenemo wrote:That works - I'll ask Alain if he can offer it as an option on the homepage. In fact, maybe you guys are right and the animation sould be popped in the archive. Got us thinking again over here... Another argument we had about binning it is that new visitors will either know they've got the right place or be curious enough to come in having seen a strange blue boat shoot by. Any other suggestions?
No, by all means don't bin it. It is entirely appropriate for those who surf in for the first time. My solution above was for regular users -------------.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the heads-up on adding the 'un-animated' url to my favourites! So obvious Id missed it! Thanks again. Chris
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

The 'pic of the day' has provided some really great pictures of the project. Might it be worth considering a 'gallery' or 'pictures' tab on the website so the pictures can be viewed if you've not logged onto the site for a few days? Chris
tas

Post by tas »

ace_chris wrote:The 'pic of the day' has provided some really great pictures of the project. Might it be worth considering a 'gallery' or 'pictures' tab on the website so the pictures can be viewed if you've not logged onto the site for a few days? Chris
I asked for something similar on the first post of the 'pic of the day' thread, would be nice to have the option to look back at previous pics (for example, the instrument panel pic was a particularly good-un).
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"