Out of this World.......

Drewski

Out of this World.......

Post by Drewski »

hi, i'm sure we all recognise that the Marillion song 'Out of this World' was the catalyst for Bill Smiths interest in doing what no one had done before - Searching the depths of Coniston Water for Bluebird and retrieving her from the lake bed for restoration. Well done Bill and well done Marillion for an amazing song, full of emotionally charged lyrics which have been perfectly married to one of the most remarkable pieces of music - ever.
This full episode by Bills Team and Marillion will hopefully result in Bluebird being on Coniston water once more - what an achievement !!

what i'd like to know is this:
can anyone say what is being said in the song, i.e. Donald Campbell and / or His team ?
i have listened intensly to what is being said, but i cannot work out exactly what is being said and by whom ?
i'd love to be able to listen to the song with the text in front of me of whats being said.....and who is saying it ? it really would mean a lot to me if someone could provide the answers...

hope you can help out

cheers
Last edited by Drewski on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Many Miles away, there's a shadow on a door, of a cottage on the Shore, of a Dark Scottish Lake.....
Renegadenemo

Re: Out of this World.......

Post by Renegadenemo »

The part spoken by Donald is the easy bit. He says, 'I've got the bows out, I'm going, ugh'

The confusing part of the Marillion track and the part that puzzled me and therefore sent me in search of more info is the radio transmissions that follow.

'Tango to Base - Tango to Base, over...' (base was corporal Paul Evans, not sure who Tango was.)
'This is base to Tango...'
'Tango to base, Tango to Base, complete accident I'm afraid... over.'

It's the words, 'complete accident I'm afraid' that's looped on the track.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Having stuck the corps recording through no end of software and Avids, I'm sticking with what I qouted in Leap into Legend, word for word!!! The only part I have any curiousity with is the word Donald was about to use, then changed mid sentance, but not having a copy of my own book, I can't remember it!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Steve,

what did you quote in 'Leap'? Can't seem to find my copy...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

'galloping over the top'...

Not heard that before. My take on it is, 'can't get over the top'.

And as for the going/gone argument, I firstly don't accept that Donald, the eternal optimist, would shout that he'd gone when he'd not quite gone at all - it's not a natural thing to say. You'd far more likely shout, I'm going! as you went. I mean, had luck been with him he may well have been able to yell about coming back again a second later.
Secondly, he very clearly uses a two sylable word and 'gone' only has one so unless he was singing about it the 'gone' theory is a sylable short of what he said.
And thirdly, we had a first generation copy of the original reel-to-reel recording checked out by the AAIB (Air Accidents Investigation Branch) at Farnborough. Being world leaders in the field of deciphering the last, deperate mutterings of pilots about to die in horrible accidents, and having a massive responsibility to get it right in the interests of airline passenger safety, you'd expect them to be able to work it out with an acceptable degree of accuracy.
The AAIB conducts investigations on behalf of airlines all over the world - mainly because we pretty much invented air crash investigation and are therefore quite good at it - and to this end they've recently built a brand new, state of the art facility for exactly this purpose where our tape went for a hearing.

Their verdict... 'I'm going'.

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

This discussion has been done, done and done, but hey ho. I'll try and find my "de-crackled" version and post it as a mp3 when I get home.

The software I used, it what cleans up live transmissions from F1 cars to the pit, up to broadcast standard, although we also had the same software accident investigation inquiries used/use. I also had the dirty and clean version run by Farnborough and at four different sound studio's, as even the clean version creates argument! Can't get over the top" has too many "whatevers" (something like sylables, but not them), and galloping was brought up independantly (e.g, none of those asked were told what the tape was, who was speaking, when it was, nowt!) by five of those asked. I went with what the majority considered, and based on the fact that DC had used the term many times before, although usually "galloping about" when it was a bit rough! Also ask, "can't get over the top" of what? He was already on the plane. The "I've gone" was also arrived at by timings/ tone of voice, and the angle K7 had achieved, DC knowing it was above the "point of no return". At the end of the day we all have our own opinion, and mine is based on what I heard during my research, and what I was told by an awful lot of experts. But then again, Expert, X is the unknown qauntity, spurt, a drip under pressure..............
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I love this argument. I came back to the workshop when we were painting the walls to find ten guys in two separate camps daubing the transcript on the walls in trade emulsion and ready to set about one another with paint-laden rollers. We quickly painted over the lot to diffuse the situation and restrict the paint to the walls.

Come on then - who can we ask and all trust to settle this up? The CIA, MI6? let's choose someone then ask them to settle an argument. AAIB convinced me but we could ask the NTSB too for good measure...

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Leaving for home Friday 12th Dec, give me a couple of days to settle, cut fire wood, mow lawns etc etc and I'll go looking in "the archive"!!!
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Mike Bull wrote:Who mows a lawn in December? It's takes local authority intervention before I'll mow mine in the height of summer!!! :lol:
Anyone who hasn't been home for nearly two months!!! And I'm not looking forward to it either....................
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

hi - I dont know if this is possible? is there any chance we can have a Mp3 of Donalds transcript posted on the site ?

Whether its the original or a super dooper cleaned up version, it would really be a benefit to have this somewhere on the Bluebird Project site.

cheers
Many Miles away, there's a shadow on a door, of a cottage on the Shore, of a Dark Scottish Lake.....