Collectable Things

Renegadenemo

Collectable Things

Post by Renegadenemo »

As most of you know, I'm not a collector of Campbell / Bluebird / speed-record stuff having got into the game at completely the wrong end of the spectrum but this may interest someone out there.

http://www.gizmag.com/sir-malcolm-campb ... dium=email
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Mentallica

Re: Collectable Things

Post by Mentallica »

estimate of £35,000 – 50,000 :shock:

Should it not be given back to the family?

Have a strange feeling about these sort of things. Owning somebody elses award just doesn't seem right to me.

Similar to an auction a few years ago selling off Mike Hailwood's TT trophys. Why would you want to own something thats not rightfully yours?
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Mentallica wrote:estimate of £35,000 – 50,000 :shock:

Should it not be given back to the family?

Have a strange feeling about these sort of things. Owning somebody elses award just doesn't seem right to me.

Similar to an auction a few years ago selling off Mike Hailwood's TT trophys. Why would you want to own something thats not rightfully yours?
Hi all,

I thought you might to see what £35.000 - 50,000 looks like. A beautiful trophy though!

Regards, Fred

'I'm just that bloke, that won't go away!'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

There is absolutley nothing in the family paperwork that suggests how, and when, this escaped from the family, although it is listed. So it was either selected as a gift from Malcolm's estate, as stated in his will, or gifted by Donald to someone who had either helped him, or his father. I'd love it, but my bank manager would have quite a bit to say about it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Post script, this may have been selected by Malcolm's footman, Reg Whiteman as a keepsake after MC's death, although the paperwork merely states, " Silver Blue Bird boat, to R Whiteman as per codicile".
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Steve and others.
The said item plus Trophy can be viewed on the sideboard/table next/behind Jean Wales Donald's sadly departed sister at the beginning of the Speed King Video made in 1999. From memory Jean passed away in June 2007 so I see no reason why she would have parted with it before then. So I can only guess that it was left in her will to one of her sons Donald,Malcolm or P.J ? And whilst on Line we have already passed another important date Lewis Norris sadly left us passing away on the 13th February and was buried on 25th February 2008 from memory once again. How time flies! :o

Novie
"I've Gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi All sorry in that last posting I meant last year 2009 re Lewis Norris passing away forgot we are now in 2010! Getting a little confused there :?
Novie
"I've Gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Aye Novie, we all have to get old somtime
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
George

Post by George »

Before I start I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in this project to restore K7. My father was a Donald Cambell fanatic. Not in terms of collecting stuff about him but because he loved Cambells spirit and patriotism. It was the man he had so much admiration for, not so much the metal and bits. Because of this, when a job came up to take K3 up north from Hounslow to Lord Bolton's home in Yorkshire he jumped at the chance to do it. Along the way he took some slide photo's that I still have. (See my guest book entry below)

I know this is probably only of passing interest to you guys because K7 is what you are into, but your project reawakened memories of my father and his passion and for reasons I cannot go into here, that did me a great service, so thanks again guys and gals. I wish you every success in the project and look forwards one day to travelling up to see K7 for myself.

My guest book entry before I joined the forum:
I have in my possesion some slides and a press cutting of a Bluebird along with some slides of various people connected with her. The press cutting explains that BlueBird 1 was collected (by my father) from a boat yard in Hounslow where she had been for 5 yrs and taken to Lord Bolton's stately home in Yorkshire. I have several slides of the boat. These were taken by my father so have probably never been seen before.
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

Just spotted this, too, on't Flea bay-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!