Visit to Filching Manor Motor Museum

f1steveuk

Re: Visit to Filching Manor Motor Museum

Post by f1steveuk »

As I say, the one in Ian's pictures is one from CN7, the Jan 4th one was last seen by me, packed in a box, although that wouldn't have stopped PFH from leaving the label hanging next to any old belt :lol:
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

although that wouldn't have stopped PFH from leaving the label hanging next to any old belt
What a terrible allegation to lay at the door of someone of his absolute integrity... Shame on you.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I trust your tongue is firmly in your cheek ;)

The other harness hanging in Filching, with a full shoulder width mounting plate and a stretched bolt, is the 1960 CN7 crash harness, which for some years was "mis-labeled".
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I trust your tongue is firmly in your cheek
So far in my cheek I think it's stuck :D
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

:lol:
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Thanks everyone. Should have known about the harness really. Must pay more attention in class.

As I mentioned previously, there have been other visits to Filching that have resulted in a similar range of pics being posted on their relevant Forum or Facebook pages. If, however, posting these images here would cause any difficulties for Fred or for Karl Foulkes-Halbard, I will gladly delete them. I do understand the sensitivity surrounding the Campbell memorabilia at this time. I believe that the family wish to retain the collection intact at least for the time being but I would strongly urge that some professional conservation advice is sought urgently as there is clear evidence of significant deterioration taking place given the environment in which this material is being kept. This is particularly the case with the items containing paper and other fabrics.

In the meantime, here are a couple of more bits of K3

Sir Malcolm's seat from K3

Amongst the K7 material is this lens section. Fred did explain, but I am afraid I am not sure of the details. In the "harness" pics earlier, there are also one or two panel sections visible.

The model of K4 was displayed close to a model of the 1935 car and I seem to recall that this was for some years in the Library at Beaulieu before being returned to Tonia.

Also, at the time that CN7 was purchased for The Science Museum, the handover at Beaulieu was marked by a symbolic prseentation of CN7's steering wheel. I think that this was a replica mounted on a plinth so, presumably, this item is the real one???

One of the K7 models on display

And Gina's record setting Agfa Bluebird II

Last edited by Pullman99 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

One for Steve! Still on topic...sort of.

At Filching I was surprised a little to find an F1 car as I had not previously been aware that the collection had any particular interest in this aspect of motorsport. Looks a little bit tired, but the car is captioned as being from 1985 and is presumably, therefore, an Arrows A8 that was used in the 1985/86 seasons being driven in 1985 by Thierry Boutsen and Gerhard Berger. It has been mentioned by the owner of another A8, that the Filching car mnay be an A7 from 1984???

Just wondered if the chassis number was known?

Ian Robinson
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Nearly forgot the Beryl!

Ian Robinson
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

The CN7 wheel is indeed the "record" wheel, it's the only one with the "Event Marker" button. The lens was an optically perfect strengthener for the original perspex bubble cockpit cover, and just behind that you can see the reflecter lens for the original "heads up" display, removed because the glass is green!

It's a long time ago I did the conservation work on the Beryl, but I think it's MV57. It still turned, but you could hear grit inside from where it had been blasted at Thorpe Park.

The alloy panels hanging were never really indentified as CN7 parts for 100% certain, one looking more like a front starter handle panel from a T35 Bugatti. There's no evidence of any of the glue used to bond the panels on CN7, although it was suggested by Ken Burville, that one of them may have been a closing panel from under where the tailfin fitted, and dropped in when the fin was removed for transport purposes.

In the background is one of Leo's cloches, where he grew cucumbers, or to you and I, the original 1955 windscreen, complete with holes for the windscreen wiper assembly.

Sir Malcolm's seat isn't an original, that went back into the 1935 car after a period fitted in K4, as it had built in suspension and damping to give MC a degree of comfort.

It's a shame Paul never got planning permission to build the barn on site that was to be the museum proper, Filching could really have grown into quite a place, we had lots of plans, but the council had no foresight! I miss the old bugger really.

I posted elsewhere on the Arrows, but a loaner from a man who was closly linked with Arrows who now supplies Ducati. I think it's the interim Ross Brawn/Dave Wass designed A7/8, with bits of both cars, it has the alloy roll hoop of the A7, but I'm pretty sure some of the bodywork is A8, but that is from memory, so the usual disclaimers apply!
GTRacer

Post by GTRacer »

Hi All, Regards Gina's Agfa Bluebird 2 Cat.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. But my memory was that this boat was flipped during the record attempt?? I'm sure that the then O'N and O'Z (F2 & F1) racer Roger Jenkins advised gina to remove the nose wing to get the bow higher in the water and go quicker. This did work but flipped the boat on the final run. Is this the same boat but rebuilt, or is my childhood memory rusty. I did see both Gina and the offshore boat #70 in about '86, Mr Whoppit was in the cabin.

Please fill in the details in my swiss cheese memory if anyone can add to the picture.

I'd love to go and visit the museum, does anyone know if it is still open to the public anymore?