Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Richie

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Richie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:41 am

It’s alright Andy, Bill is getting a smoot senile in his old age.

Well if we have an Andy, I vote we need to collect folk with different names... can we have a Heinrich join the forum please ?

Or can we really push the boat out and recruit a Laserus or Tarquinius ?

Thus far with the exception of Malcolm and I, folk on the team have short names, you know, simple folk.....Barry, Mike, Dave, Jordan......Bill....

Fancy being named after a ducks face ?

Cruel parents....very cruel 😉
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Stephen D

Paint for K7

Post by Stephen D » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 am

I have recently completed a 1/12 scale model of K7 and had the paint specially made to match the exact colour of the original.

I used a spray gun to get a lovely smooth finish and then lacquered it...looks fab.

I have lots of the paint left over so if anyone wants to make me an offer fot it...leave a message and we can liaise.

Regards Stephen.

flyfisherbill

bluebird k7 plans

Post by flyfisherbill » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi I wish to make a model of the bluebird k7 to sail in my local boating pond could you supply me with a copy of plans or tell where I could get them from either hard copy or email would do. thanks

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi, and welcome. We don't supply plans for the boat but there are people on here that will. None of the available plans (or kits) are totally accurate, but some are at least reasonable starting points.

mickday

Post by mickday » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:56 pm

I do have a plan which I am happy to share

I was going to build model from it myself but then I got a part finished model which I am working on completing for running later this year

Anyway happy to share what I have, but as Mike mentioned it probably will not be 100% accurate, attached low-res copy

Let me know by PM and I can share the hi-res version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flyfisherbill

Bluebird K7 1: 72 scale R/C conversion

Post by flyfisherbill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi
I've got a touchwood models Bluebird K 7 in 1: 12 scale that I would like to convert to R/C . Has anyone done this before if so any help or tips would be appreciated advice on kit to install motor / prop or fan motor or photos instructions or photos of any completed models would be a great help.
Thanks Willie.

mickday

Post by mickday » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:50 am

Hi,

There is quite a bit of info regarding RC conversion on RC Forum

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... luebird-K7

Regards
Mick

Ernie Lazenby

Re: Bluebird K7 1: 72 scale R/C conversion

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 pm

flyfisherbill wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:17 pm
Hi
I've got a touchwood models Bluebird K 7 in 1: 12 scale that I would like to convert to R/C . Has anyone done this before if so any help or tips would be appreciated advice on kit to install motor / prop or fan motor or photos instructions or photos of any completed models would be a great help.
Thanks Willie.
Hi. 23 years ago I did the very first RC conversion of that kit and sent the manufacturer a set of detailed instructions. Since then things have moved on a pace with brushless motor technology and new generation of batteries. I have advised a number of people what to do to make the model work well. I still have the very first Touchwood K7 now converted to brushless set up. It works really well. If you want to email me I will give you some guidance. Forget about electric ducted fans they dont work well in model boats.For 15 years I wrote regular features and reviwed products for the UK magazine 'Marine Modelling International' My area of expertise was and remains fast electric boats, although I am now old and decrepid I still retain the knowledge. I am writing articles these days occasionaly for UK magazine Model boats. If you think an old geezer can help please ask away.
BTW I am about to write a feature on how to power a K7 and other such models with a gas turbine engine. The does and don'ts.

The Touchwood K7 can be made to really move at a representative impressive speed. I also have working models of Bluebird K3 & K4 (Sir Malcolms)

KylieChurchill

Post by KylieChurchill » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 pm

In January 1955 first successful jet-powered hydroplane, and was considered revolutionary when launched. One of the best of its time.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 pm

Its been said on a number occasions that many models of K7 are not accurate but does that really matter. 5 yards or so away from the edge of the water who is know what's right or wrong. Rivet counters like me, and yes I did count the number of bolts on the wreck of K7 and sourced scale sized bolts for accuracy, try hard to get the models accurate. In the final analysis one only needs to ask this question ' would the man on the Clapham omnibus know what it is meant to be from what he sees? if the answer is yes then that's an achievement. I have in the past been asked to judge at model shows and seen models suitable for placing in a museum, many hours of work a labour of love but equally I have judged models that can only be loved by the builder. All I am saying is does it really matter if models of K7 don't stand up to rivet counter scrutiny, for me it does not.

I believe it would be well received if the BBP at some time in the future produced an accurate plan for model makers.