Technical Talk

Mike Bull

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Mike Bull » Mon May 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Actually the speedometer is mounted centrally above the steering wheel; at first in 1966 it was mounted in the instrument panel itself, and then later on it was moved higher and placed in a little box, to better put it in Donald's eyeline. A rather token glare shield was also fitted to the box.
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm

but in answer to the question, the thing on the fin is still a pitot tube :D
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Richie wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm
Or to be precise, a pitot/static tube.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 am

mtskull wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm
Richie wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm
Or to be precise, a pitot/static tube.
Correct.

I did dare say that..... :?

Vernon

Bluebird crash

Post by Vernon » Tue May 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi all
I couldn't help notice during watching the spirit reborn DVD that bluebird lands on her port side in the simulation. I have watched footage & studied pictures & I can see it was an impact starboard side if I'm not mistaken. Could you clarify.
Thank you
Vernon

Mike Bull

Re: Bluebird crash

Post by Mike Bull » Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pm

The graphic probably exaggerates things but the boat impacted left sponson first, albeit marginally, wiping her front off from left to right as the front spar winged off into the air, and the main hull was tripped up by the left hand side of the intakes gulping into the water, tearing them open, while the right hand side was squashed flat as she smacked over, which also bent the two tail fin fairings to the left.
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Vernon

Post by Vernon » Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks Mike

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed May 30, 2018 12:21 am

The boat rolled rapidly to the right whilst upside down in the air with the fin leading then rolled equally fast the other way once she righted herself in mid air so, though she landed almost level, the left hand sponson arriving first but not by much, she was still rolling fast and basically twisted the centre hull from under the front spar such that it landed left side down. The cockpit was shorn off from left to right with the left hand cockpit wall separating between frames 15 and 17 with the 15-17 section sinking not far from the impact point whilst the 17-23 (tip of the bow) piece rolled all the way under then was ejected on the other side to leave the water again like a skimming stone to land about 160m from the impact point to the NE. The front spar went 150m straight down the boat's track before splashing down with big chunks of upper sponson fairing attached. The rest of the cockpit structure disintegrated and sank not far from where the main hull came to rest.
As Mike already mentioned, look at the pic's of the recovered wreck and you can see how the LH inlet was torn open and the RH crushed shut. This is what tripped the boat up and caused that tumble seen in the footage. The damage to the fin fairing also tie in perfectly with this.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:45 am

Have to say a massive well done to the crew and everyone else involved because today K7 was finally lifted onto her new launch and recovery cradle, which even incorporates two of its original wheels and stub axles. We hefted the big, heavy lump onto a perfect recreation of the unsung hero that was her trailer so now she looks even more like herself than ever before. Pic's shortly.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 am

First engine start since 2016 tonight and, like everything else, full of legacy-headaches from 1966. Despite our best care and efforts we had a rather hot-start with much fire requiring extra effort to blow the fire out, rein in the JPT then shut down and dry-crank to get the heat out of the engine. Not a conspicuous success.
The main issues were de-inhibiting the engine, as it doesn't like to burn a mix of Aeroshell 1 and kero, possible mis-adjustment of the control runs such that we didn't achieve idle, and therefore sufficient mass airflow to pull the heat away in the prescribed startup time and the shocking design of the combustor drain tank such that its pipework is higher than the tank so it doesn't actually drain. Whose stupid idea was that? At least the inhibitor is out of there now having achieved a successful acceleration to idle - eventually.
We also remain unsure on the possible influence of our second LP boost pump on fuel scheduling on startup but at least we can simply disable that.

What was an amazing success and a great team effort was getting the boat out of the workshop with inches to spare, into the yard then back again. OK - so it took a little fiddling about as it was our first try but we did it with no damage except a few frayed tempers and a late finish.

Someone remind me why we do this?

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.