Technical Talk

Canopener Al

Re: Triumph to Tragic in one fell swoop.

Post by Canopener Al » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 am

Interesting discussion after my last post Gentlemen and i admit I have never seen the full transcipts of any of the trial runs bar on "Across the lake " and written in "the Record Breakers". I am an ex RAF Airframe guy by starting trade, tin bashing at first, did Mechanical ONC and HNC as education and did engines conversion at the end of my RAF career, then into the B1 world of civil aviation and all the taking of exams to refresh EASA that I knew what i was doing as a competent person. No engine in the world is not designed to be able to draw the fuel required to operate under its full range by its own plumbing system. That would have incudled the Orpheus. As Bill has mentioned however the HP fuel system on the prototype Gnat was not a standard engine. Also the FRAME fuel system was designed orignially for the lower requirements of a Beryl. The Intake design and loads of K7 for a Breyl was not strong enough for the Orpheus suction loading. Such is the way for low cost modifications that k7 got in 66. PV/T = C is thermodynamics Gas laws.. Fluid Dynamics is a little similar. Also, Blue Bird was on the plane under the four forces of Thrust, Lift, Weight and Drag. Remove one of them suddenly and the normal world is disrupted.
:evil:

Canopener Al

Post by Canopener Al » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:52 am

Mike, I assume the LP indication is a suction based one. You are using original pipe dimensions that caused DMC and LV all the same problems 52 years ago?

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:35 am

In anything to do with K7 and particularly 4Jan67, it is best in my view, not to be too 'absolute'. There are lots of things that are still not known or properly understood - although running the actual boat will help, in increasing overall understanding.

There is also lots on information and many views & opinions, in the various books written. Some are very good, others less so. Actual experience & evidence, will (or should) override all of these, but the books are still worth a read. Authors have found information which was hidden away for years, which can be crucial to improving our understanding - such as the 'new' bits of film found, from various sources - beyond the classic BBC and ITN footage.
Last edited by Engine 711 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 am

Were you an engineer for RR ?

I didn’t know that....
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

strath_uni

Re: Technical Talk

Post by strath_uni » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi, I am going to run undergraduate student projects in 2018/19 looking at the aerodynamics and stability of the Bluebird. This will use both CFD and low speed wind tunnel testing. To do this I need the external lines of the Bluebird. Does anyone know where I might find these in 3D CAD format?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey, Bluebirders... anyone live close enough to the Solent museum to go and get some techie shots of the Beryl engine there? With particular attention to the fuel control system and its linkages? That would be very useful to us.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Canopener Al

Post by Canopener Al » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Shame I didn't see this until tonight. Was there this morning. I did take a picture of it.