"The Heart Of The Gnat"

Re: "The Heart Of The Gnat"

Postby Jordangbr » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 pm

What is the pipework on the root of the leading edge of the tail fin?
Is it something to do with the pitot?
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Jordangbr

Postby Renegadenemo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:39 pm

The grey is a primer that stayed firmly in place when the blue lifted. You can see the outline of features on the underlying paintwork when you get up close. The orange was under a pair of closing strips that ran along the root of the fin. The yellow, plastic piping is indeed for the pitot system.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"While it was reiterated that in such a unique, complex, dynamic and articulated technical and engineering project, it would be both misleading and unrealistic to fix a precise date for the conclusion of work"
Renegadenemo

Postby bluebirdsback » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:26 am

Thats the bit i was talking about. The bottom of the tail fin has a definite red strip which looks like a red fin was atached and painted blue after the closing strips were fitted. Just wondering if this plane ended its flying days with the red arrows.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
bluebirdsback

Postby Mike Bull » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:45 am

Not a chance Roberto- XM691 was a prototype aircraft, and was put out to seed fairly quickly for a jet aircraft. Plus, remember that you can see it's wings in the background of shots of K7 as she was rolled out, and the wings are still in the silver paint scheme.
"But it was only fantasy- the wall was too high as you can see- no matter how he tried, he could not break free- and the worms ate into his brain." - Pink Floyd, 1979
Mike Bull

Postby klingon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 am

Mike Bull wrote:Not a chance Roberto- XM691 was a prototype aircraft, and was put out to seed fairly quickly for a jet aircraft. Plus, remember that you can see it's wings in the background of shots of K7 as she was rolled out, and the wings are still in the silver paint scheme.

Might be wrong but at the time of 691's disposal were the Arrows not called the Yellowjacks anyway?-seem to remember seeing a pic of 691 somewhere with an orange stripe on the tail end-will check my archive and try to find it :geek:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
klingon

Postby Mike Bull » Thu May 20, 2010 8:53 am

Just resurrecting this thread as I was having a little read online about Gnats etc, and saw a mention that XM691 was 'blown up at Shepperton Studios in July 1969'!?

We know it was minus it's engine and that the wings were off by the time Donald had finished with it in 1966, so if the above is correct then I guess the remains were perhaps sold to a film company? Anyone?
"But it was only fantasy- the wall was too high as you can see- no matter how he tried, he could not break free- and the worms ate into his brain." - Pink Floyd, 1979
Mike Bull

Postby sheppane » Thu May 20, 2010 10:19 am

Mike Bull wrote:Just resurrecting this thread as I was having a little read online about Gnats etc, and saw a mention that XM691 was 'blown up at Shepperton Studios in July 1969'!?

We know it was minus it's engine and that the wings were off by the time Donald had finished with it in 1966, so if the above is correct then I guess the remains were perhaps sold to a film company? Anyone?

This site lists all the films made at Shepperton. Non stand out immediately. Were any planes blown up in 2001-A Space Odyssey?

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/studios/Shepperton-Studios
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. http://www.bluebirdk7.com
sheppane

Postby klingon » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Could be "The Body Stealers" 1969-plenty flying sequences and Wizzbangs-only other aeroplanes movies that year were "Battle of Britain and The last Grenade-the Gnats a bit modern for both! :D
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
klingon

Postby Mike Bull » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 pm

Pulling up this old thread again to point out a nice close up picture of XM691 that's currently for sale on ebay-

1238.jpg

My inner geek enjoys seeing Bluebird's tail fin in it's original taller form, still attached to the Gnat! :geek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Bull

Postby Stuart Baker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 pm

OK, so XM691 might or might not have played a part in an film we don't know the name of.

By comparision, the relevance of this post to Bluebird is only marginally less tenuous. Below is a picture of a frame from the Bond film "Moonraker". The evil villain (whose name escapes me) has his hand on the speed controller for the centrifuge, ready to wind up the speed to 20g which is enough to leave any mere mortal waiting for someone to scrape their remains off the inside of the cockpit.

Picture1.jpg

Compare this with the images of the Orpheus fuel pump parts in the May diary... The only thing I can guarantee for sure is that the part in the film didn't come from DMC's Bluebird, as this was under a few feet of water when the film was made, but it has always amused me to imagine some poor soul tearing apart an engine recovered from a scrap heap to find interesting parts for the film set.

The other thing to remember is that there is always some sad individual out there with their eyes open who will spot a detail in the strangest of places.

S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stuart Baker

PreviousNext

Return to Bluebird Rebuild