Friday 11th January 2002

As you know, we've been talking with the HLF about funding for the rebuild project. It's all been going very well and we've obtained a positive response from them in all our dealings to date. However, they still have to do things by the book and this means making a formal application. As form filling in and paperwork is not my favourite pleasure, and as we want it right first time, it was decided that we'd do what we always do in such situations. Find someone who knows what the Hell they're talking about to keep us right. Simple plan really, they do all the hard work, we get all the glory.

We were visited today by Iain Hasdell of Deloitte & Touche. Ian has handled some of the biggest HLF applications in our area, in fact our job is a drop in the ocean by comparison to some of the deals he's been working on. The object of our exercise this time is make sure that when the paperwork goes in, it's absolutely watertight. (No pun intended).

We've brought the planning to quite an advanced state where the rebuild is concerned so we have a very strong case with documentation to back it up and let's face it Deloitte & Touche are a very serious player to have on the team. Cross all your fingers and toes boys & girls!

As well as Iain Hasdell, we had a visit from an aircraft breaker called Les Richards. He makes a living from breaking up old aircraft when they reach the end of their working life. We got him along to have a look at some of the less identifiable bits of machinery on the boat. There are valves and pipes that are mostly aircraft but which aren't readily identifiable. Les looked at it all and kept saying that it all looked familiar. When asked about the "Bloctube" control runs under the cockpit floor (we need some replacement stuff because it got chopped off just behind the rear spar), he replied "that's the sort of stuff that goes straight in the skip". Good news in a way because next time he finds some we should get it for nothing. He's got masses of aircraft stuff lying about and was kind enough to donate some instruments to help us get our engine running. He also has some huge crates that are full of bits that we can rummage through when his fork truck is fixed. He needs it to get the lids off the boxes.

Can someone find us a really clear copy of the cockpit photo taken by Paul Allonby during the 66/67 attempt? We need it to source the correct instruments for the cockpit restoration. Any other images of the cockpit would be welcome too.

Iain Hasdell


Deloitte & Touche

Les Richards

Aircraft Breaker


Saturday 12th January

Put the jetpipe on today, it's made of two sections, inner and outer. The inner section is the bit that does all the work, it's made of nimonic stainless, a material which can handle the intense thermal loading when the engine is running but which is prone to cracking with the heat and high frequency vibrations associated with turbines. Around that is an outer shroud. There is an air gap between the two.

The outer jetpipe, made of aluminium, is longer than the inner pipe and it's end is made of bright stainless (that's the round shiny bit that pokes out the back of K7 under the tail). As the two pipes are of different diameters there is a gap between them all the way around. They are held apart by a series of small spacers. As the exhaust gases come out of the end of the short inner jetpipe (at about 1300mph) into the slightly larger diameter of the outer pipe, it creates a vacuum in the gap between the two. Remember your school physics, as velocity increases pressure decreases. This pulls cold air in through an aperture at the front of the shroud and so the air flowing between the inner and outer pipes provides a heat shield. Without it, your aircraft (or boat) would probably melt in half or at least get very hot. It's about 700 degrees centigrade in that pipe when everything's cooking. Unfortunately, I'm yet to see two Orpheus engines that are exactly the same and sods law ensured that our jetpipe has the inlets for this cooling air on the opposite sides to the one on the boat. Look at a picture of the right hand side of K7, (there's a good one on page 73 of the Bluebird Years, there's a small square opening between the Bluebird logo and the Bristol Siddeley badge. This opening was to admit air to cool the jetpipe. There is a larger opening on the other side of Bluebird's casing which can be clearly seen in the painting on the front cover. On the aircraft the opening on the left would provide air to cool the jetpipe through a ram air system. Air would be forced in through a scoop when the aircraft was in flight. K7 just has a hole cut in the side. The opening on the other side is there for the same purpose. Obviously, on the aircraft, no air would go through the ram air system when the plane was stationary so to get around this, there is a spring loaded flap called a 'flow inducer valve' on the opposite side of the outer shroud which opens due to the pressure difference across it and allows cooling air into the jetpipe. On Bluebird, the flow inducer valve is properly plumbed in with its own length of ducting to the outside of the hull. Why didn't they put a scoop on the other side as nature intended? Maybe it would have collected water instead of air and done horrible things to the jetpipe? Maybe it wasn't deemed necessary but there was a lot of work went into plumbing in the less important valve on the opposite side. Maybe they ran out of time / money? Any Guesses?

While we're on the subject of heat, the recalcitrant oil pump finally gave in today after it was treated to a morning in front of the gas heater. It's been clinging grimly to the gearbox casing despite the fact that there are only 3 O-rings holding it. Having got it loose it proved to be quite badly damaged by water ingress. Fortunately the water didn't get through it into the gearbox so we'll need a new pump but that ought to be all.

One other interesting piece of info that came available this week is that if the paperwork with our friend Iain from Deloitte & Touche (Toilet & Flush as someone said today) goes according to plan, then we could be in a position to make a proper start as soon as July this year. Proper start means cutting, welding, fabricating new bits and forming new panels. Exciting stuff!

Inner jet pipe fitted

Followed by outer jetpipe

Rear of jetpipe showing air gap between inner and outer

Oil pump to be replaced when we find a new one

Instruments kindly supplied by Les Richards


06th February 2002

Our efforts are continuing unabated at this end but the project is at such a stage where there's not a great deal to see. For example, we've had a more in depth meeting with the people at Deloitte & Touche regarding our Lottery bid. It's not the most technically difficult job to assemble one of these bids, it's just that there's so much of it to get right. There's a survey and restoration plan for the hull skins (more of that in a moment) that must be supported by costings, material specs, projected timings and a million other details. There's a similar plan for the spaceframe, engine installation, controls (steering, throttle etc.), electrical system, hydraulic system (water brake), fuel system (nightmare), instrumentation (whereabouts unknown), road transportation proposals hull cleaning, NDT survey, metallurgical examination etc. etc. There are appraisals and CV's for all the subcontractors and individuals involved. There are local authorities and museum people involved. It just stretches off into infinity. There is also an over all costing plan that our good friend (and accountant) Graham (Beanie) Woodfine is tearing his hair out over every evening. Just when he thinks he's got it right I turn up with a load of new information, but it should start to reach its final form shortly. The business plan is being written by D&T and the lottery people are waiting with bated breath ( I hope!) so like I said, loads going on and nothing to see. If anyone would like to buy a commemorative special edition signed collectors copy never to be repeated example of the Bluebird Project Lottery bid to keep for posterity, large cheques made payable to the restoration fund will be accepted in due course.


Very rare Rotax air starter

Also do a fine line in Hens teeth and rocking horse s##t

Jet Pipe Temperature (JPT) sensor outlet

2 on each side of engine for main and auxiliary gauges for pilot and co pilot

On the engineering front, we had a visit from Chris Michell of Airframe Assemblies this week. Those guys are tin bashers of the highest order. They normally work on vintage aircraft but the boat is of much the same construction so it's not a problem to them. They are well used to looking at cruddy bits of aluminium, sourcing equivalent 'fit for purpose' materials, bending it all into the right shape and sticking it together in such a way that the Civil Aviation Authority will allow it all to fly about the skies, can't ask for much more than that can we?

Chris had to travel from the Isle of Wight to get a look at our big blue boat so he was knackered when he arrived. He'd been told that the boat structure was a steel frame with an aluminium skin but he was expecting super lightweight aircraft type stuff. He looked in amazement into Bluebird's hull and described it as 'a crane jib clad in aluminium' pretty accurate description and it's the fact that the boat is so heavily constructed that firstly allowed it to survive the impact in reasonable order and secondly, left us enough material to put it all together again.

Chris took lots of pictures and we crawled about the floor trying to work out where all the joins are in the outer skin. All of the bodywork has got to come off and the craftsmanship in the skins is outstanding. There were some bits where we couldn't work out how it had been made. All will be revealed when the paint comes off I suppose. Having got his head round the construction and after a few hours of scavenging about in the corners of the hull, Chris announced that there was nothing insurmountable in the task though it remains a very time consuming and labour intensive exercise. We're looking at around 18 months to finish the bodywork to original condition and that's without the time it's going to take to repair the frame.

Chris Michell from Airframe Assemblies

a crane jib clad in aluminium??

Let me tell you all a story, a couple of weeks ago I received a phone call, the caller said 'I have Bluebird's original launching cradle', the story goes like this.

Apparently, in the mid 70's there was a man who owned some survey kit and liked to spend his time looking for the Loch Ness monster, he also had friends in Coniston and occasionally stopped off on the way to Loch Ness to give his boat a quick test in the lake and visit his friends before he continued North. At some point he decided that he needed a trailer for another boat and as Bluebird's launching frame was lying about making the field at pier cottage look untidy, he removed it to his home in the South of England. Cutting a long story short, he died a couple of years ago but the trailer has survived and his widow still has it in the garden. I asked my mysterious caller to sketch and measure it and as I have a copy of the original drawing (for the purposes of building the recovery cradle), it didn't take long to ascertain that he did in fact have the correct trailer. We are in the process of having it made available to the project but we still have to get it shifted from the South to the North.

Now for another story, shortly after we recovered the wreck from the lake, I got a call from Robert Walker Haulage. For those who don't know, Robert Walker's hauled both K7 and CN7 all over the place not long after Donald got his double in Australia. In a nutshell, they want to haul the old girl again if possible and so are now our chosen haulier for the duration of the project. We have been able to obtain all sorts of services and items at little or no cost but wagon drivers wages and diesel fuel have to be paid for. Having said that, we've been quoted a very reasonable price to get the trailer moved up North. This would allow us to get Bluebird back aboard her original trailer before the rebuild begins in earnest, so to my third story.

Our old friend and confidante Mr Novie Dzanorak is going to take part in a sponsored run around Coniston Water (about 14 miles) in order to ensure that we get our trailer. It'll also get some of the puppy fat off him and improve his overall fitness in preparation for handing him a rope with a 56lb clump weight on the end of it and making him haul it up and down through 145ft of lake water all day. Just like old times eh Novie?

I'm going to give him a fiver a mile and an extra tenner if he finishes the course. I've got to make it worth his while so that I can enjoy his suffering and I'll cough up at the end of the run either into the Rebuild fund or the coronary care unit that tried to resuscitate him at the roadside

So, all you enthusiasts, get your hands in your pockets and put your money where your mouths are , there's been all this talk of raising money for the project and now we have an excellent opportunity, Novie is going to knacker himself for the cause and we're all going to be there to laugh at him / cheer him on. His endeavors have a very worthwhile aim, to see the boat reinstalled on her original cradle, all in all something well worth achieving. Either contact Novie or mail us here at the BluebirdProject, we'll get you a sponsorship form or take your money any way you please. Try to send him at least a quid a mile and a finishing bonus if you're feeling flush, (don't want to demoralise the poor lad by making him slog his (considerable) guts out for 10p a mile or something) and we'll send you all a sloppy thankyou letter on proper BluebirdProject paper to go in the file.

Novie with Gina outside The Bluebird Cafe

Is the timing post wood or metal only one way to fine out plodge into the lake in the middle of January

Novie ready to spring into action

14 miles round the lake on foot this time

Here's a really boring bit of work but it is proving to be a worthwhile experiment. Many of the engine ancillaries were buried in that lovely mud that we spent so much time slurping out of the hull, remember? Things like the engine oil pump, fuel pump, hydraulic pump, fuel control system etc. These items had oil on the inside and anaerobic (no oxygen content) mud on the outside so needless to say, they've survived quite well. However, having them looking OK is one thing but could we get bits of machinery to work again?

As we found ourselves in need of an oil pump, we decided to try and salvage some parts of the original one and get it working again. It took a few days to get the thing apart only to discover that the casing had rotted out to a large extent, not surprising really. There was, though, enough metal to clean back to, and the original steel pump rotors were perfect inside their coating of magnesium oxide. All of the dead metal was ground out using a die grinder until only shiny new metal remained (a quick course in dentistry would have helped), by this time, there was not much left but the little bronze bearings were still in place so there was a datum to work to and we could measure from the inside of our other pump to get a drawing for the pump chambers.

The inside of the pump was then rebuilt by welding with magnesium rods (a particularly exciting welding process that results in frequent and dangerous one-man firework displays when working on rotten material in a confined space) Once it had been welded, it was roughed out to shape with the die grinder and then welded again to fill the gaps. Finally, it was set up in the machine shop where new pump chambers and oil galleries were machined into it over a two day period. With the original rotors set up in there it now pumps oil again. There are another three sets of rotors to get working so there's a bit of a way to go with it but it's perfectly fixable now. We'll get it all working, test it, run it in and then let Rolls Royce have a look at it. If they say it's OK we'll run it on the engine, if not, it's been fixed for permanent display.


Oil pump 1st stage before any work carried out

All corrosion ground out with Dremmell and Die Grinder

Bill welds the pump chambers using TIG and magnesium rods

Wait for the fireworks

All the chambers welded to put back the metal that had corroded out ready for the machine shop
Pump being machined to very close tolerances
And the finished result only three more stages to go

Don't forget March 23rd

Novie will "run" the complete circumference of Coniston water

Show him your support by sponsoring him
(All proceeds to the Bluebird Restoration Fund)

All pledges to [email protected]

Things are still forging ahead in the Bluebird Project camp. Well not exactly forging but still moving in the right direction. We had a meeting with Rolls-Royce a couple of weeks ago. Myself and Graham (Beanz) Woodfine went to their facility in Coventry to meet with Roger James (PR for Rolls), Pete Pavey (Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust) and a few other folks who are keen to help us on a technical level.

Rolls have pledged their support to help us get the correct machinery into Bluebird as and when she needs it. In a perfect world we would be able to obtain an Orpheus 701 engine identical to the original but it seems that there are none left in the world. The 700 series engine was used in the Gnat fighter which was not used by the RAF. There were plenty in Finland but not any more, other variants of the engine were used by the Japanese, Portuguese and Indian air forces but they were subtly different powerplants and there don't seem to be any of them left anyway.

After several weeks of scouring the globe, Rolls had to declare that 700 series engines appear to be extinct in any form so we're looking at alternatives. Some of the later engines are visually identical and some parts are available. Rolls have also offered use of their facilities to bring machinery back to the peak of fitness. Also they have asked around their personnel for people with experience and knowledge of the Orpheus series engines. It seems that we can obtain all the required assistance with the powerplant. Not only this but we can have their help on an official level. It seems that Rolls Royce carry so much third party insurance against engines leaping off airliners, that their people can safely instruct us in the correct use of our jet engine as long as we do what they say. Naturally, we have to be careful, there's a huge amount of energy in one of these engines when it's running and it wouldn't do to blow a shower of white hot turbine blades into a crowd of innocent bystanders. It's vital that we obtain this assistance.

We've obtained one or two more offers of support, Isle of Wight Ferries have very kindly agreed to move the boat free of charge in both directions and Robert Walker Haulage, having been to inspect what they are expected to haul, have offered us an extremely generous deal to get the boat wherever we need to go with it. Back to Coniston some day!

Good to see Novie getting on so well with his sponsorship and training, it's no laughing matter running 14 miles, I'm sure that I couldn't manage it. If all goes according to plan, his efforts will ensure that we put the old girl back on her original launching trailer after rather a lot of years.

Roger James in the workshops of the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust

Roger Public relations for Rolls Royce

Tony Toolmaker for Rolls Royce Engineering

Pete ex Orpheous engineer

Hydrogen peroxide rocket known for either boiling or dissolving their pilot

19th March 2002

Yesterday there was a meeting in Penrith between all the people involved in the Bluebird Project. What has happened is this.

When there was just a bunch of seemingly mad divers turning up in Coniston from time to time making noises about Bluebird and splashing about in the lake, it didn't make a great deal of difference to anyone. We bought a bit of food, drank some beer and stayed locally. Doubtless we had a certain curiosity value but that's about all. Then we announced that the wreck had been located and was to be recovered, we planned the job ourselves, then went out and did it. Since then there has been a renewed interest in the Donald Campbell / Bluebird thing. Next we recovered the Skipper and as everyone knows he's in the cemetery next to the lake, but how many people are aware that the grass in the cemetery was chewed into mud by all the people from the tour buses going for a look not to mention those who made their way there by other means. These are visits to the town that otherwise might not have have taken place. This can only be a good thing for the village and Cumbria in general. The area is full of good people who, like the rest of us, get out of bed every morning and go out to make a living, very often through tourism.

Now we're talking about rebuilding the boat to full working order and housing her permanently in the village. Perhaps taking her down to the lake a couple of times a year to get her wet and run up the engine. This is now a project that has implications far greater than a bunch of seemingly mad divers could ever have imagined when they turned up on the beach in 1996.

Consider what is now involved, as well as the monumental engineering job needed to bring the boat back to what she once was, there is the job of designing, building, staffing and operating a museum with all of it's attendant problems, planners, builders, architects. There are studies required on the impact that this will have on the local area, the environment, the economy. We have to study in depth precisely what the boat will be allowed to do once rebuilt and how to manage this. There are councillors, museum people, ethical advisors, accountants, engineers, experts in public sector funding. You name a professional person and we've either got one or we're going to need one before this job is complete. We've created a monster here as well as another massive task and as always we've formed into a tight cohesive team, each member expert in their own field and able to contribute something positive and useful. That's why we had a meeting.

Cutting a very long story short and without giving away too much, the Bluebird Project is very much alive, extremely strong and formed into a group of enthusiastic, professional, capable individuals with one aim, to rebuild K7 and take her back to Coniston. It's not going to be this year or next but it's going to happen.

23rd and 24th March


Yet another fun packed weekend in Coniston. It started as they usually do by turning up at Graeme Connacher's house in Glenridding on Friday evening. Not so long ago we used to turn up from all over the place and unload a mountain of sonar, ROV and diving kit. For the moment we just take a bag with a change of clothing and a few bottles of beer. Still, had a bit of a groggy head next morning though, when we pulled into Coniston. The place was alive with people in running kit with numbers on their chests. There was a banner over the lake road opposite the school proclaiming 'Start' and down the road towards the lake were boards with expected finishing times on them for the runners to judge how far down the field and therefore how far down the road they should align themselves for the start. It was a very pleasant warm morning with a threat of sunshine. Hundreds of athletes were limbering up on the road. Some were skipping, some were performing painful looking stretching exercises or jogging backwards. Others ran on the spot brimming with nervous anticipation, the air was filled with the smell of spray on pain killers and sweat. I even saw one man liberally coating his nipples with Vaseline though that may have had nothing to do with the run? Our hero Mr Novie Dzanorak was sitting on a chair next to the ice cream van.
He sprang to life when we appeared and ran round the van a couple of times to demonstrate that he could in fact run. He was surprisingly light on his feet for a gentleman who is so 'circumferencially challenged'. We heard from his personal trainer (Paul Hannarak), how Novie had undergone some rigorous training round the lake on the previous evening and so was entitled to preserve his meagre resources for the run proper. Paul explained how he himself had run a marathon once about 20 years previously and had passed on his wealth of hard won experience to Novie over the last few weeks.

Novie, it seemed, had already run once around the lake the previous evening and had returned to the Waterhead Guest House feeling very positive but in desperate need of a shower. Unfortunately, and to his consternation (I was informed by the staff of said guesthouse) Novie discovered that his room was equipped with only a bath. Anyone else would simply have said 'fair enough', filled the bath with hot water and had a long soak but not Novie. He wanted a shower and a shower he was going to have. Whether this was another manifestation of his powerful determination or a simple realisation that the discharging of second hand bath water in the sort of volumes required to get him properly clean after such an exercise would probably do permanent and irrevocable damage to the ecosystem of the lake, we will never know. Either way he managed to connive the use of the manageress's private bathroom which boasted the finest shower in the house and he was last seen disappearing into a cloud of steam in a shower cap and flowery dressing gown.

Suitably scrubbed and kitted out (complete with regulation bandage on leg) he was ready next morning, to go at it with the best of them. We stood at the top of the lake road while 1500 runners lined up from the school entrance to somewhere down by the lake. Those competing represented everything from highly tuned running machines to elderly folk jogging round in their own time for no more than a bit of personal satisfaction and a day out. Novie was running to raise money to restore Bluebird K7. The race started and a sea of bodies swarmed up the road. Last time the road had that many people on it they were walking slowly, carrying umbrellas. This time they sprinted up the hill, turned left in a continuous human river. By the time the last few grinning stragglers had shuffled by, the leaders had disappeared and Gina had cried herself hoarse yelling 'nice legs lads!'

A sea (or should that be lake) of runners just after the start

Novie and friend trying to hide in the bushes

Novie finishes in 2 hrs 28 mins but it's Paul Hannarak that should get the Queen's commendation for bravery for removing Novie's socks

Plaque to be placed at school

Once the runners had disappeared off down the road, we made our way back to the Bluebird Cafe, Phil and Judith were flogging bacon butties at the usual prodigious rate so we had a bit of breakfast. During breakfast we came up with a wicked scheme.

We scrounged the use of one of those electric powered boats that our old friend Dave Coxon rents out to sightseers. They are so slow it's almost painful but they are nice and quiet and very safe. We purposely tried to capsize one of them one day for a laugh and couldn't manage it (Sorry Dave, forgot to mention that, we would have salvaged it for you honest) The second part of the plan involved a megaphone that we forgot to return to the BBC Science an Adventure Unit on a previous trip. It's one of those funnel shaped affairs with batteries in and a pistol grip. You speak quietly into the back and what comes out the front echoes off the fells for the next ten minutes. Marshall thought this was possibly the best toy he'd ever been presented with and immediately set up a commentary on anything and everything going on around him at about a million decibels. Our plan was to (slowly) make our way to the North timing post where the lake road comes down almost to the water and there wait for Novie to streak past as we yelled encouragement at him.

As a plan it was sound but we reckoned without Marshall and his new toy. As soon as we got within hailing distance of the runners (which was about 300 yards!) he began to inform them that the race had been cancelled, would they please make their way back to the start. He told them that they were running the wrong way, they weren't running fast enough, the leaders had already finished and that there was only 12 miles to go the next two of which were all uphill. We were helpless with laughter in the bottom of the boat which Beanz had now edged close enough to the beach so that we could hear some of the runners replies and work out their many hand signals.

The runners were straggled out towards the back of the field and gaps started to appear in what had been a continuous stream of runners. Marshall went quiet for half a minute but the next runner through couldn't have set himself up any better if he'd tried. He ran into view, stopped then dashed up the hill where he started to relieve himself against a tree. This was too good an opportunity to miss, Marshall raised his megaphone and demanded the unfortunate man's race number so that he could be reported for committing an 'illegal act.' Startled by this sudden din behind him, the man looked this way and that for the source of these demands, probably soaking his trainers, as Marshall instructed a couple of lady runners on the road NOT to look to their right as there was a 'Gentleman performing a Gentleman's act' in the bushes. Enquiries were made as to how much fluid the man had consumed on the previous evening as the job seemed to be taking some time and when he was finally done Marshall asked whether everything had been neatly tucked away. We were crying with laughing

Eventually, Novie came by looking very fatigued but still running. He yelled something about his leg having given out again (he's been getting physio for weeks to keep it in running order.....running order)?

Back at the ranch after an extremely slow trip back up the lake we found Novie exhausted but rightly jubilant. His leg had held out but only just. He flopped into his chair again and his (very, very) good friend Paul Hannarak took his shoes and socks off for him. Had I been asked to do that job it would have involved a 4 wheel drive, a length of chain and a pair of Mole grips but Paul did it with his bare hands? Like Alain said, he should have received the CBE himself for that one.

Later we sat in the school hall as Gina did a grand job of presenting the prizes to the winners, she was also presented with a plaque which is to be mounted on the wall in the school. All together it was a good day out and the weather didn't play it's usual games, more of that next year perhaps?

Runners start off with words of encouragement from Gina shouting "Nice legs lads"

Runners get words of encouragement from Marshall via megaphone "The next two miles are all uphill"

Gina gives the prizes out



Sunday 24th March 2002

Once again the weather was kind, Sunday wasn't as pleasant as Saturday but at least it hadn't decided to lash down. Perhaps we've earned a bit of grudging respect from that lake at last?

At 12.30, a small gathering walked to the Skipper's grave where a new headstone had been erected to replace the temporary one which has stood there since the funeral. The new stone has the shape of K7 carved into its top edge, it is subtle and just that little bit different.

Walking into the churchyard it was easy to see the path worn in the grass by recent visitors to the grave. There were in fact two paths, one which made its respectful way around the other graves and one that cut straight through the middle.

As well as Family and friends, there were the 'die hard' members of the Bluebird project, Vicky from the Museum, Bruce Bennison from the council, the Vicar and last but not least Michaela from the Westmoreland Gazette.

There was a short informal service in which the headstone was blessed then we made our way in convoy down to the lake where the old headstone is now standing outside the Bluebird Cafe. It will be built into the wall in due course but for the moment it's standing there looking very like a headstone causing one old boy to wonder 'why on earth they dug him up and brought him down here'?

After the second part of the service was complete and the other stone blessed, the gathering moved once more to the Waterhead Guesthouse for a pleasant buffet lunch. We didn't let Marshall have the megaphone this time.



Permanent headstone in place

Original headstone is now by the jetty at The Bluebird Cafe

The Original headstone gets blessed by the lake